· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question Any advice for dealing with very hard water?

0 Not allowed!
    I've been having problems with hard water and my aquariums since I moved to my current house about a year ago. I haven't really tried much to stop it but I think it might be something that is stressing out my fish as I've had a hard time keeping them alive while the rest of the water conditions are good.

Any good ideas? I've heard of R/O units but the price seems a bit extreme. I've heard people mention Ion Exchange Resins but I'm not sure how they work or any details.

0 Not allowed!
    well, depending on the types of fish, a good acclimation process could help.

Have you tried drip acclimating the fish?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    If its been about a year with fish in thw water they should be acclimated. You can get a water softener, or rodi, or stock fish that like the hard water better. Brackish or african cichlids, kribs, live bearers.... Ect.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    Stupid me.... Forgot to ask the important question..... What is your hardness?
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have not tried drip acclimating. This is something I could do relatively easy and will be looking to do with my future fish. Thanks for the tips, but I'd also like to at least reduce the hard water a little bit.

Since moving, about 50% of fish survive in my current tank and all the water conditions besides hard water (and my area has extreme hard water) have been good. So, I don't have much left but they've been there for a while and are doing fine now.

Why would it be better for brackish fish? I'd need to do some research on brackish aquariums as I've never even thought of having one. Any good place to start?

Considering getting another, bigger tank and needing to decide what to do about this super hard water first. I'm just wondering what has worked for others.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    Stupid me.... Forgot to ask the important question..... What is your hardness?
    Generally, it is off the chart. 180ppm or above general hardness and I believe it is similar for carbonate hardness.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    No answers here, but I'm very interested to see the responses! I have very hard water, too. I actually calculated it from out of the tap (after sitting a day with dechlorinator, since I didn't test right away).

And by very hard, I mean a dKH of 22 (394ppm) and a dGH of 28 (501ppm). Yes, it took a while to get the actual numbers from testing.

Luckily, I have no fish yet.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Keep fish that thrive in hard water. Cichlids from the African Rift Lakes.

Trying to change your water chemistry to suit the fish you want to keep doesn't work, especially if an RO\DI is not an option for you due to financial constraints.
    Last edited by Taurus; 06-26-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    well a water softener would work for your entire house, cause i know hard water can cause some issues with faucets and stuff. they arent too bad either. if you install one you will need to be careful to acclimate the fish to the new water some how.

brackish fish have a higher tolerance to hard water than some other fish. they need a touch of salt in the water too. i would do more research but i am a fan of goby + puffer tanks with a snail feeding tank.

african cichlids are also a good choice because they are from hard water too.

live bearers are also tolerant to hard water.

wish you the best of luck dealing with the hard water situation. normally id be one for letting the fish to adapt to the water but with a super hard water like that, it might need some helping lol
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Take a look at this thread and the video by the original poster.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101463

This is an African Shell Dweller tank. Sounds like you have the type of water needed to make this happen.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"