· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ><))>WBW<((>< View Post
    For a catfish that could do well in a 30gallon a bristlenose pleco could work.
    I thought it would be something similar to this species...
    Truth is that I don't really like it that much.

I'm not going to say that this fish is ugly but I'll say that it doesn't attract me as much.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I looked at some species on liveaquaria.com (I hope this is a good site) and I've found 4 species.

- The Celestial Pearl Danio (I like it because is has a trout like look)
    - The Snakeskin Barb (it looks like a clown loach but it's smaller)
    - The Penguin Tetra (a peaceful bigger (3'') fish that looks like a predator)
    - The True Rummynose Tetra (it looks like one of my fishing lures)

Now with the info given on the website, the only fish that doesn't have similar requirements is the Celestial Pearl Danio which has a KH of 8 - 12

They say that the minimum tank size should be 30 gallons which worries me.

Should I get a bigger tank ?
    What does KH stand for ?
    Are these species a good choice ?

0 Not allowed!
    KH means carbonate hardness, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KH_%28hardness%29

CPD like their water a bit harder and very clean. It's a small fish that looks best in a carefully planted tank and needs a decent sized group. Mixing them with bigger fish can make them look a bit "lost". A 60cm long tank is already quite enough for them. You might want to use www.seriouslyfish.com for your research.

What's tap water like on the island?

0 Not allowed!
    BTW, CPD is shorthand for the celestial pearl danio and a "planted tank" just means you put live aquatic plants into the tank (either burying roots into the gravel or other "substrate" or tying a plant down to a decoration in the tank).

You will learn about "water parameters" and "cycling" - both very important! There are articles regarding just about everything you'd need to know right here on the forum.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    BTW, CPD is shorthand for the celestial pearl danio and a "planted tank" just means you put live aquatic plants into the tank (either burying roots into the gravel or other "substrate" or tying a plant down to a decoration in the tank).

You will learn about "water parameters" and "cycling" - both very important! There are articles regarding just about everything you'd need to know right here on the forum.
    Ok, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    KH means carbonate hardness, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KH_%28hardness%29

CPD like their water a bit harder and very clean. It's a small fish that looks best in a carefully planted tank and needs a decent sized group. Mixing them with bigger fish can make them look a bit "lost". A 60cm long tank is already quite enough for them. You might want to use www.seriouslyfish.com for your research.

What's tap water like on the island?
    Ok ok. I kinda multi-threaded this thread and I've taken the CPD and the Barb off the list.

The tap water is one of the cleanest available, chlorine free but insanely expensive.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I think Dutchie was inquiring m0re ab0ut the parameters 0f the water, such as the pH and KH, etc. Cycling was menti0ned ab0ve already, and this is a great place t0 start after y0ur st0cking list and aquarium build are ready.
    There als0 0ther smaller plec0s available that are m0re attractive than the BN, n0t 100% sure but I think the cl0wn plec0 and g0ld nugget plec0 are 2 0f them. S0unds like y0u certainly 0ff t0 a g00d start with y0ur research- y0u will make a g00d fish 0wner at this rate, g00d luck!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I think Dutchie was inquiring m0re ab0ut the parameters 0f the water, such as the pH and KH, etc. Cycling was menti0ned ab0ve already, and this is a great place t0 start after y0ur st0cking list and aquarium build are ready.
    There als0 0ther smaller plec0s available that are m0re attractive than the BN, n0t 100% sure but I think the cl0wn plec0 and g0ld nugget plec0 are 2 0f them. S0unds like y0u certainly 0ff t0 a g00d start with y0ur research- y0u will make a g00d fish 0wner at this rate, g00d luck!
    Thanks, I don't know the ph nor kh levels but my uncle works at the water company so maybe I can ask him tomorrow.

I've looked at some videos and there is a man on youtube who says that a fish called the siamese algae eater cleans
    better than any catfish.

Does any of you know if this is true ?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have heard siamese algae eaters can get big and mean. Another small catfish is some type of corydoras. There are many different species and they are pretty active.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ><))>WBW<((>< View Post
    From what I have heard siamese algae eaters can get big and mean. Another small catfish is some type of corydoras. There are many different species and they are pretty active.
    Understood.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Woah woah, Siamese algae eaters are great at cleaning, and not mean at all. CHINESE algae eaters, however, get flat out evil when they grow large. Make sure the fish you buy is siamese, and it is the way to go. Good luck!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here