· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default noob who made the mistake of listening to petco.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, I'm your classic aquarium noob who made the mistake of listening to petco. I have a 40 gallon tank that has been up and running for around 6 months. Checked the water twice recently and its good. I was told by the associate at petco that it would be perfectly ok to put my five tiger barbs, five neon tetras, and three cherry barbs in the same tank. However I've noticed that the tiger barbs eat all the food and tend to chase the neon tetras. Should I put in my tank separator and keep the tiger barbs on one side and the rest of the fish on the other? Are there any other feeding time solutions that way all my fish will be able to eat? Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger barbs are real nice-looking fish, but they can be little buggers depending on what their tank mates are. I don't believe you will want to keep a divided tank, so don't even think about that.

It all depends on what type of fish you want to keep - either lively, active - somewhat aggressive fish like the Barbs, or slower- moving, more graceful, reticent fish like Neons, and the Cherries, to a lesser extent.
    So, you need to re-home one or the other types - sold or given to someone else, or returned to the LFS.
    Then do a little homework as to species compatibility, and act accordingly.
    One thing in your favor - you have a large tank which can accommodate quite a few more fish, so you can increase the number of Tigers by a couple more, and the Neons & Cherry Barbs by quite a few more of each species, and I'd be willing to bet there would be noticeable more harmonious co-habitation.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So you think if I increase the amounts of all fish (the Neons and Cherries more so than the Tigers) they will learn to "play nicely"? Thank you for the help!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I`ve not kept those 3 species together specifically, so I can`t say for certain, but I do know, and have experienced, that increasing the numbers of many types of fish kept together gives each type more confidence, reduces aggression towards others of different species, due to a lessening need to establish territory, so it usually works.

Many species of fish need to be kept in fairly large numbers, usually 6 or many more together, to feel very comfortable in their surroundings.
    Try it, it should work out ok.