· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Bettas in with a goldfish? I admit I'm new to fishkeeping, but that's sending up so many red flags for me, as is "chinese catfish". Bettas and goldfish have very different temperature needs, ones that don't overlap. And by "chinese catfish" do you happen to mean a chinese algae eater? As they get older they switch to preferring to eat the slime coats off their tank mates, which leaves said tank mates vulnerable to illness.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    The "one inch of fish per gallon" theory is not a good rule of thumb to follow. Following that logic, you would keep a 10" oscar in a 10gal tank, which would certainly not give you a happy or healthy fish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1 inch per gallon doesn't really apply to shrimps or snails. A 8 gallon nano tank can successfully home around 30 cherry shrimp or more if planted. But, this does work with neon tetras in a 10 gallon. You can home from 10-15 1" fish in a 10 gallon tank with proper filtration.

Anyways, I'm gonna start this up in maybe 2-3 weeks as soon as I get a new light, another pearl gourami, and a few more rainbowfish for my 55 gallon. I'm hoping to find a pretty betta for somewhere around the lines of $30. Thanks for the help everyone.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got a gorgeous crown tail betta (dark blue body, red fins with blue tips) at Petco for less than $10. I'm really impressed with this guy. He's really a show stopper. You may be surprised what you can find locally for a lot less than $30.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Crowntails are my personal favourite, and they are way less than $30.
    If you are looking to pay $30, you must be looking at the half moons or rosetails.
    Veiltails you should be able to get for less than $10.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. Thanks for the help everyone.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i don't think a 3.5 gallon tank is enough for a betta.
    with gravel and plants it will be like a 2.5, what filtration do you have?
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Namazu View Post
    Guppies and corys are dainty fish you can put more of in one tank at 5 gallons. I think it would be nicer to look at.
    I love the Shrimp. I have a small colony of Ghost Shrimp myself. They're so fun. They look like they're knitting sometimes lol. They help keep your tank cleaner.
    I respectfully disagree. Guppies and corys need much more space than a 5 gallon.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    I have an unused fluval spec aquarium, dimensions are 10.8"length by 8.7"width by 11.8"height. First is is this big enough for a betta? I know people commonly keep these in 1 gallon tanks and less, but I want to take proper care.

Second, is this a good stocking?
    1 betta
    2-6 Amano shrimp
    1-3 nerite snails

And last, what's a beautiful type of betta that you reccomend? I've heard of "Blue Dragon" bettas, but I doubt they would be easy to obtain.

That's it, and thank you.
    Loller
    If the tank you have is the Spec V, your betta will be more than happy in there. If it's the Spec II or III... well, that's not exactly ideal but it's much better than a fish bowl and provided you keep on top of your water quality the betta should be alright. Just make sure to remember to install a heater and cycle it before adding your new buddy.

Must admit, I've never seen a blue dragon betta. Sounds beautiful! If they are anything like red dragons, I can only imagine how cool they look. Since you have a Spec (speaking from experience) keep in mind that the filter flow is quite intense for a betta even at its lowest setting, so you will probably want to consider a plakat as opposed to a more fancy-finned variety such as halfmoon so that it does not get pushed around by the current too much. My spade-tail plakat fairs much better in his Spec V than a fancy veiltail I fostered a while back in a Aqueon Evolve 4 (which has a very similar filter setup). However, I have heard of people modifying the flow by punching holes in the pump hose so that's an option if you are dead-set on a large-finned betta.

Personally, I would try ghost shrimp at first and take it from there since they are a lot cheaper than cherries and amanos which might just end up as expensive snacks for a betta.

Be sure to share some pics of your new buddy when he arrives!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by koaladarshana View Post
    If the tank you have is the Spec V, your betta will be more than happy in there. If it's the Spec II or III... well, that's not exactly ideal but it's much better than a fish bowl and provided you keep on top of your water quality the betta should be alright. Just make sure to remember to install a heater and cycle it before adding your new buddy.

Must admit, I've never seen a blue dragon betta. Sounds beautiful! If they are anything like red dragons, I can only imagine how cool they look. Since you have a Spec (speaking from experience) keep in mind that the filter flow is quite intense for a betta even at its lowest setting, so you will probably want to consider a plakat as opposed to a more fancy-finned variety such as halfmoon so that it does not get pushed around by the current too much. My spade-tail plakat fairs much better in his Spec V than a fancy veiltail I fostered a while back in a Aqueon Evolve 4 (which has a very similar filter setup). However, I have heard of people modifying the flow by punching holes in the pump hose so that's an option if you are dead-set on a large-finned betta.

Personally, I would try ghost shrimp at first and take it from there since they are a lot cheaper than cherries and amanos which might just end up as expensive snacks for a betta.

Be sure to share some pics of your new buddy when he arrives!
    I'm going to stick to Amano shrimp, I'm only getting 2 of them. If they don't work, ill use 2 nerites and that will be it. Though, I hear adding the shrimp first helps so that the betta will less likely take them as food. Once I wrap up my 55 gallon, this will be started.