· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need help. Did something stupid

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so was going to do a fish less cycle. For home after a long day and put the wrong ammonia in the tank. 3ml. It had surfactant or something like that. So then I put 3ml of the pure ammonia. Ok so then I freak out and put some microbe-lift which is suppose to help remove ammonia. So now ammonia level is 8ppm. What should I do? There are no fish in the tank.

I feel like such an idiot. I picked up the wrong bottle

0 Not allowed!
    If you think you added ammonia with additives, then I would suggest removing all the water (leaving your filter media wet) and then dose back up the 2 to 4ppm with the correct ammonia.

The exact effective of surfactants found in ammonia and can be highly debated, I would just change all the water and redoes so you won't have to worry about

This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby after all
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since at the end I have to do a large water change, what if I just wait until ammonia level goes to 0 them add ammonia and then do a large water change at the end? Would that work?

0 Not allowed!
    As you were dosing up to 4ppm, I just assumed you were at the beginning of your cycle

You should be reducing the amount of your ammonia to 1/2 of what it was before the nitrite spike happened

My above post was based on the assumption you added ammonia with harmful additives. If that is what you feel happened, replace all of the water and redose ammonia with the one that you know to be safe back to the correct level

If you feel you did not add any harmful additives, then do about a 75% water change to lower the ammonia level.

Either approach should work

The problem with surfactants is that there are many different types so you can never be 100% sure, but I have never ran into problems using ammonia with surfactants
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'd start over. You don't want any extra chemicals in there. That might hinder your bacteria growth or kill fish in the future if you leave it.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. Thanks guys. I will remove all the water tomorrow and start over.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by overkil2 View Post
    I feel like such an idiot. I picked up the wrong bottle
    Please do not feel like an idiot! It's good you asked about it and can start over again. Good for you
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Removed all the water and started over. Thank you for your replies.