· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question Starting new tank with Amano shrimo and Peppered cories

0 Not allowed!
    Question - I know you should add Amano shrimp, any type of cory or BNPs to an established tank only. How do I set up new species tanks for these species?

I want to set these tanks up later this summer, each a 20 long, one for the amanos & peppered cories and one for the BNPs. I will do a fishless cycle on each tank. How do I do this?
    Last edited by gronlaura; 06-25-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    you can either run a tank completely on a fishless cycle for a few months to season the bacteria, or you can do a fishless cycle and then stock it with fish you dont mind rehoming when ready.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Got it. Will do the extended fishless cycle method, as I don't have any way to rehome fish. I would probably get attached to them and end up keeping them, which is not the plan!
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    ...to season the bacteria.
    Um.. No. There is no such thing as seasoned [Or unseasoned] BB.

It's true that for all of the above you want a stable and sizable BB colony available to take care of any water parameter shifts as bottom feeders are often the first casualties [Mostly due to poor tank circulation IMO but that's a dif issue].

Getting a larger BB colony than is going to be needed can be easily accomplished by [fishless - obviously] cycling with a slightly higher Ammonia PPM than you normally would to increase your BB above what your stock will be requiring [It will adjust down to the available food supply]. Then keep an eye on the parameters as you would after any addition to the tank.

With Amanos and BNP you want the algae [BNP certainly have other dietary requirements also as you know] to be well established before they arrive and this takes time. You do however have the option of simply leaving your lights on for the entire [Again fishless] cycle to encourage its growth [BB is not phototrophic as far as I know].
    Hope that helps.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    I didnt truely mean the bb would be seasoned.... More of the bb would have a better hold in the filter over time. Thats what i meant lol.

Wont getting some blue leds on the tank get algae going? Or letting the trates get higher than normal for a little while? I mentioned the 2nd option because if you are doing a prolonged fishless cycle you can let the trates get higher if theres no fish to suffer. When algae grows some you can control it with pwc. Also i would suggest throwing your driftwood in for the algae growing would be a good idea too
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    I didnt truely mean the bb would be seasoned.... More of the bb would have a better hold in the filter over time. Thats what i meant lol. "better hold"... ? If you mean it will colonize to the extent that food is available .. then yes Try writing what you mean, It can be really effective & usually takes less explaining.

Wont getting some blue leds on the tank get algae going? Or letting the trates get higher than normal for a little while? I mentioned the 2nd option because if you are doing a prolonged fishless cycle you can let the trates get higher if theres no fish to suffer. When algae grows some you can control it with pwc. Also i would suggest throwing your driftwood in for the algae growing would be a good idea too
    Of course you want all your hardscape in the tank for the duration, Just leaving the light on for a few weeks will do the job, It's foolproof.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Okay - how about this -

Forget using the 20 high as the QT for the 8 glowlight danios. Instead, I set up the dual 20 longs end to end.

For the 1st 20 long, the 15 amano shrimp & 12 peppered cories tank:

1. I use seeded biomax from my 75 gal (it's been seeding for the QT since 5/31) in my spare AC30 and add the 8 glowlight danios I was going to put in the 20 high QT (I think they'll be happier in the 20 long).

2. I keep the 8 danios in the tank for 6 weeks. If all has gone well, I switch the biomax from the AC30 to a new AC70, adding additional biomax which has been seeding in the 75 gal for the last 6 weeks.

3. I transfer the 8 danios to the 75 gal and add 6 peppered cories to the 20 long.

4. Two to three weeks later, I add the final 6 cories. I will have to wait for some algae growth to add the 15 amanos.

For the 2nd 20 long, the 4 BNPs tank -

1. Can I fill the tank (which has been aquascaped) and leave the lights on to grow algae without adding filtration? Then, when I have adequate algae, transfer seeded biomax from the 75 gal to a new AC 70 and add my 4 BNPs?

Geez, I'm going to have to get a dry erase board so I can keep on top of this........
    Last edited by gronlaura; 06-27-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Awards Showcase

<3 - Sandz Let's have a toast...TO DISCUS!!! - Slaphppy7 So I don't have to drink alone to celebrate your new discus ;-) - wgoldfarb One more fish for the tank, happy the Discus got thier in such great shape. - steeler1 A Toast To An Awesome Discus Owner! - Slaphppy7 
    For a succesfull Discus move!! - steeler1 A toast to more discus! - Slaphppy7 For another safe arrival! - steeler1 For the loss of you Cory's - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Excel spreadsheet worked for me lol! Really looking forward to reading about your new journey :D