· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal. Thanks for the info Paul.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wild discus 1 HR.jpgwild discus 2 HR.jpgwild discus 3HR.jpg

Here are pics of the fish from the store. It looks like they sold 2 because there were a total of 8 before. I think 7 of them are wild and 1 they got from Hans (the bluer one, forget name). The store opens at 10 so I plan to call in an hour or so and get the scoop on them (if they are wild caught or first generation tank raised from wild caught).
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    They dont look like quality wild fish to me. They look clean, and most likely are F1 but are still Juvi and IMO you can get better fish as a begginer in discus.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    after reading up more on "picking discus" I can see they are a bit football shaped. I am going to pass on them. Thanks for the tip!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As for the PH testing - The water in my aquarium is 7, just like the water out of the tap. It should be noted I did a 50% water change the day before and when I tested it before, it was more like mid to high 6. I had left a 5 gallon bucket of conditioned tap water overnight being heated and aerated. The PH in the bucket was noticeably higher (closer to 8).

Based on this, is it better to store water overnight (maybe not aerate, just heat and add Prime/water conditioner?) and just add slowly and in smaller qty (not 50% but 30?%) Or can I simply continue to add conditioner right to tank and add water slowly direct from tap while filter is off?
    Last edited by Fish from Filly; 06-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I suggest you do the tap, overnite bucket, and tank pH tests again, once or twice more, to compare results & be sure that the readings you're getting are fairly consistent, and you know exactly where you stand.
    However, if your tank pH is usually 7.0, or 'high 6' as you say (e.g. 6.7-6.8), and your tap water is 7.0, then you're good to go with wcs with conditioned water right out of the tap.

But if you do store water and it's pH happens to be in the 'high 7's',
    (does this mean, e.g. 7.7 ?) and since you only do 50% wcs, this would likely produce a modest, acceptable pH variation in the tank water following a wc - perhaps 0.5 at worst. So you should be fine either way.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Paul! I will definitely do another test or two and compare results. I haven't done the hardness test but in all likelidhood, it won't be THAT bad. I know plenty of discus keepers in Philly who do not use RO and have beautiful healthy fish. I will still test to see where I'm at anyway.

In other news, I just got off the phone with Hans and plan to drive to his store after work tonight! I'm like a kid in the candy store right now

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well here they are! I went to Hans last night and spent some time looking through the hundreds (thousands?) of fish and tanks he has. Here are some pics of the new guys IMG_3182.jpgIMG_3174.jpg

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is link to more pics...
    http://imgur.com/a/C5uvx#0

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Triple F this is a triple A+! Great looking fish! You have me more and more excited to finish the 'building' process of my fish area.