· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Betta - parasite, dropsy, constipation, rapid onset spontaneous leg mutation, or...?

0 Not allowed!
    5g tank, 1 male betta and an unknown amount of snails (pond, MTS, limpets), semi-planted. Tank is filtered and fully cycled (API Master Kit monitored). I've never not given him his minimum weekly water change. Temperature maintained at 81F. Diet is kind of sad in its lack of variety. He refuses all but (previously frozen) bloodworms -- we're still trying to find a pellet he'll accept. Water conditioner is the only additive.

SO!

What the hell is that?

It's more to the side than the bottom, the scales immediately surrounding the 'it' are slightly ruffled and raised, but there and only there. I can imagine that could be simply from the swelling, which is likewise there and only there. It doesn't appear attached so much as actually protruding. I just noticed it this evening and have not been able to figure out what I'm looking at or what to do. Generic salt treatment and cross my fingers?

Help?

**Also, my preview shows all this as "centered" despite it not being set that way. Hopefully it does not post that way... So, uh, sorry if it does...

0 Not allowed!
    I'm hoping that a betta enthusiast will chime in here - if it is constipation, cooked, mashed peas work well if accepted. I do know that bettas are prone to certain problems and I see that your betta is a picky eater. How long have you had him and what were your most recent water parameters - readings for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hadn't tried a pea yet-- I'm almost certain the most that could come from offering one would be a pointed look of disdain. :D Certainly worth a try, though.

Took some readings a few minutes ago (to make the test more recent than the other recent) and my readings for Am/NitrI/NitrA are 0/0/5. His most recent water change was the day before yesterday, at 50%. Ph is high, at 8, but that's normal (for me).

We've had him since April.

Thank you for your input, imma24. :) I'll go get his pea ready. Maybe I could try serving it on a silver platter and groveling...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll go ahead and panic now, 'kay?

I went to give him his pea and this is what I found:

That was not there an hour ago. My god, is he exploding? Is that a rectal prolapse?! What do I do?! D:
    Last edited by clichepithet; 06-25-2013 at 04:01 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    *sigh* Lame to keep replying/posting to my own thread-- but he keeps changing. The browner-thing on the bottom just disappeared (I've been watching him like a hawk). It looks like there might be a little still showing, but I suppose this can establish that the darker, bottommost issue is intermittent.

The white thing is still present and appears a little longer.

Guess I'll just establish daily pwcs, sit and wait and see what happens. :\ Sorry to flood my own thread, probably should just have edited all this into the other post. Just freaked out.

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. Could it be an external parasite of some kind? Do you have a magnifying glass handy to get a better look?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Interesting. Could it be an external parasite of some kind? Do you have a magnifying glass handy to get a better look?
    None of the pictures I could find on external parasites looked anything like it, and couldn't find our glass. It didn't look very soft? It reminded me more of a quill, like what you find when a chicken isn't well plucked. Semi-firm, at least, when he would turn it would almost stick out further, away from his body.

I speak past-tense as the 'thing' is... gone. There is a wound where it was, swelling and the like. I cannot tell if it has simply receded (like the prolapse, which is now completely gone) or fell out/off.

He ate his pea with gusto, at any rate.

Completely flummoxed, the intent for a daily pwc stands. *head-desk*

0 Not allowed!
    Might want to add some aquarium salt to aid in the healing or just regular water changes should do. That's an oddity for sure.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He's in the quarantine tank now, with all the standard get-better stuff happening.

Both protrusions are completely absent, there being only the wound on his side now. Late last night his underbelly (in front of his pelvic fins) turned very pale, but that's gone this morning. Given it all, he looks much better and I'm much relieved.

I swear these bettas are going to be the death of me. Thank you for your help, KevinVA.

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear he seems to be doing better....Kevin knows his stuff...if he says that was an oddity, I'd tend to belive him
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal