· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Yet another hobby

0 Not allowed!
    This is about my 3 little golfish and my first ever tank.I am not sure if is a hobby yet but sure is interesting to keep fish.

.I used to have 2 hamsters and before you know it they became 15.The pet shop guy forgot to warn me they are male and female lol.Some died only 8 survived .Imagine an unfurnished bedroom with 10 hamster cages all equiped with weels and everithing ,I almost declared bankrupcy that year.( don;t mind my grammar, I not an native english ).
    I don't really like pets but I if they accidentaly interfere with my already busy life then I put all my energy in caring for them like another kid of mine.

Ok back to the fish thing.It was supposed to be a rescue mision nothing more.Theese 3 goldfis were gasping air at the surface into a bowl ,I could,t see the fish through the dirty water ,only their mouthts open like 3 little circles .Took them home disgusted and angry on the entire human race lol.
    Here comes Wallmart , the friend of the poor ,with 40 $ i got a tank all equiped ...or I thought so, then anothe 20$ on food and ugly plastic plants and samll bag of gravel.I thought that.s it,my set up costs done ,silly me.
    Then I started to google and research ,do the homwork properly and realized I am far from truth and my fish jurney has just begun.A few days ago I was trying to avoid the cost of amonia test and today I bought a Aqua Clear filter in a blink of an eye, the fish need it then the fish must have it .By the way, this filter made my water cristal clear ,my husband asked me "Have you changed the water or did someth to the tank?"Kids the same, came from school and noticed my High Definition tank .

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats. It appears this is turning out to be a hobby for you. Thank you for doing the research. It sure does feel good when you have some knowledge in this hobby. Keep at it. I suggest a liquid test kit. Keep researching and learn everything you can about the nitrogen cycle.
    Last edited by ijankrom; 06-25-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you have a start to a great hobby. A warning tho, almost every goldfish will grow at least 6" long, many hitting a foot or more! Im guessing the tank you got at walmart is one of those 10g everything included deals? If so that tank will be too small for any gold fish.

Good call on the aquaclear they are my favorite hob filter. You seem to be learning nicely, and found a great site for help.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thankyou, for sure I ll take a liquid test.
    As I mentioned bfeore my air pump is gone ,burnt out .I wish the staff in pet shops advised me to get a valve so water can,t backflow into the pump .
    My fish are so hungry ,they bite the gravel and spit it out ,no tasty enough lol.Untill cycle finish I feed them only once a day what they eat in 2 min.
    I am getting bored of my blue gravel ,there is no blue gravel in nature ,looks so silly.
    I ll keep reading here .

Edit.My 3 heroes will have a well deserved pond in the backyard.We have been planning for that pond in the last 3 summers not for fish but for a nice landscape .But we got lazy and just built a small fountain then we set up a swimming pool for kids and pond project left behind .But I will make it happen.
    Last edited by Mikadog; 06-25-2013 at 06:00 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can somebody identify my plants?They don,t look very good I want to search and read about them but no idea the names.Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Mikadog; 06-27-2013 at 06:15 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found one, is "moneywort "I think ,the others no idea what they are.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That white-and-green one isn't aquatic, it'll die soon. I suggest getting some Java fern and tying it to that wood, it's really easy to keep. Java moss might also work,but goldfish will gobble it up.

Your fish aren't biting the gravel because they're really hungry, they're just searching for bits of stuff. It's normal even in well-fed fish. You're actually on a good feeding schedule for them, it'll help keep the water clean. Never let them eat as much as they want, most fish will gorge themselves if given the opportunity.

At some point you could swap the gravel out for black gravel. Most fish show better colors over black substrate, and many places sell black gravel with bits of rainbow gravel in there for color.

You're doing a great job so far, especially in researching this stuff!
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So that is why I could,t find that one bc is not a water plant .This is crazy, I bought it from PJ PetShop in Scarborough center mall ...took it out from a tank.I ve had bad experience with this place before too, the guy sold me 2 hamsters they turn out to be male and female and the airpump without even mentioning I need a valve I expect some advise from the staff or maybe I want too much.
    I ll tale that plant and put it out in the pot.
    Thank you.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of light do you have on these. The picture looks yellowish
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank came with some incandescent lights but I changed it after reading here.I got 2 white compact 5 w each but now another trouble, they have mercury .I smell danger for fish and for my kids.I will change theese too.