· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Coralife 39w T5HO too yellow

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 4 year old 65 gallon freshwater tank, plastic plants and 6 mature angels (yes I know they should not be getting along but they were raised together and they do so please no lectures on that). I have lots of driftwood. Run 2 large Eheim ecco's and no water problems unless I am lazy about water changes....

I have a light fixture with 2 Coralife 39w T5 HO's and tank looks yellow. What bulbs would be whiter or bluer? Do the fish have light requirements? I have light on about 9 hours (room is dark so no natural light.

0 Not allowed!
    The fish would be perfectly fine with no tank lights on, so no worries there.

The yellower (or warmer) color tones will give you the least potential problems with algae. The bluer color tones will help to promote algae in fresh water set-ups. Perhaps look for a bulb that is between 5000 and 6000K color temp. That would most likely be a good middle ground

Could you drift wood be leaching out tannins that might yellowing the water ?

I would suggest to keep a close eye on those angels, in case things change so you can be ready to react.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I als0 have a c0ralife dual t5H0, 39w each my bulbs are 6700k. )n my 150 the water was yell0w l00king, even in a white bucket- s0 it turned 0ut t0 be my driftw00d tea staining my water. I n0w have the light 0n my 55gal and it is white as can, be by c0mparis0n. What temp are y0ur bulbs?
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above posts wrt tannins as this is totally a possibility [It can take months and months for that to clear if you have a lot of DW].

Are your bulbs 10000K By any chance? To some eyes [Mine included] they can make a tank appear to have a noticeably yellow tint.

As Cliff mentioned, 6500K or so would be an improvement if you do have 10k bulbs.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 06-25-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like I have two issues. My bulbs are 10,000k so there is yellow to begin with (oddly, the 10k should be the bluest according to the charts) and I have three large pieces of driftwood. The driftwood looks kind of scummy so maybe I should take it out and clean it. Any advice on that would be appreciated. I do not have any bottom /algae feeders in the tank. I am not set up for a quarantine tank so can't quite bring myself to put any new fish in the tank.

Off topic but now it looks like my fish have ick. Just a few small white spots on their fins... Wonder how ick could get in a yank that was set up 2009 and has never had a fish added to it since then? I am going to try raising the temp and salt since the fish are all very energetic and look strong. My PH got up to 7.6, all other readings are perfect so I am trying to lower it now. All my fault since I was not doing best maintenance. Just did a 50% water change and completely cleaned and reset one of my Eheims thinking the other one would would keep the biological filtering ok which it appears to be doing... tank has slight white haze but that is normal after a big cleaning. Tank has never been perfectly clear.

FISH.jpg

All this is a little rambling but it appears my tank maintenance was rambling also. This photo is from 2009 but the tank setup is the same today (with 6 angels)

0 Not allowed!
    Ich can be caused by stress, one of those things that the fish kinda always have, but only hurts them when it is noticeable

I think the driftwood is fine, how long have you had it in there? If its new it could be releasing tannins which would turn your water yellow

What are your water params? Not sure why your couldn't have clear water

The 10,000K bulbs could be causing your algae too, not positive as Kelvin readings aren't something I am certain about

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ph 7.4, ammonia 0, Nitrates 0, nitrites 5. The driftwood has been in tank since 2009. It has like a coating on it... when it was new it went through the white fungus stuff phase. Is there any down side to taking the driftwood out and cleaning it? Also have a temperature issue... tank is at 75 so heater is not keeping up with circulation of 2 Eheim ecco's. Am getting a new heater and thermometer today.

Water isn't bad just not that crystal clear I see on a lot of tanks.

Probably should wait until I have the ick think under control before I do a bunch of other changes?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAUCASTLE View Post
    Nitrates 0, nitrites 5. Are these typos.. Or correct? 'Trites in a cycled tank is a red flag.

Probably should wait until I have the ick think under control before I do a bunch of other changes?
    Yes indeed IMO. One thing at a time.

WRT the DW algae issue I would consider lowering your photoperiod a bit [or breaking it up with an hour of lights off] to see if that helps. 9 hours seems a bit much to me, More of an issue than the 10K spectrum although the combo may be contributing.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You are right Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are 5. what does wrt and dw mean... new to this... The tank is in the middle of the room so does not get any serious natural light. I had it that high for the fish so shortening it is no problem. What does breaking up accomplish?

0 Not allowed!
    lol, Goes to 11! needs a translator sometimes. ;P

WRT the DW algae issue = "With regards to the driftwood algae issue..."

As an aside... 10,000k light looks a lot more "white" to me, than a 6500k bulb. The 6500k bulbs have a more "yellowish" tint to them. Color me crazy.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.