· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 46G Planted Tank Stocking & Questions about Snails/Shrimp & Gourami

0 Not allowed!
    Qgz3ECz.png

Hello! I'm currently on the lookout for a 46g bowfront, and I was wondering about a few things. Sorry this will probably be long! I appreciate ANY information you can give, I am a voracious seeker of knowledge.

As you can see, I would love to have two big schools of rasboras (thought about cherry barbs for awhile) and glowlight tetras. I thought it was a good mix of top/mid/bottom schooling. Reading up on these fish I see lots of mentions of meeting minimum population numbers (6+) but nothing about maximums. How many is too many when it comes to schooling fish? Obviously you can overstock but do behavioral problems start cropping up if you have too many in the school? I thought maybe there was no mention because there are no issues, but figured I'd check to be safe.

I do want some live plants, and I read that hitch-hiking snails are a common problem and also that Assassin snails are a good solution. Would one or two assassin snails be fine? If there are no problem snails for them to eat will they eat algae wafers/substrate detritus/algae on the glass?

I'm not sure on the gourami, if I got ghost shrimp, would it eat them? If it would, would amano or some other shrimp be better? I do want to keep shrimp, I enjoy them. How many would be sensible (ghosts or amano) in a 46g that also has corys (do I need more corys?), a pleco (is one okay?) and at least one snail? I only plan on having one gourami so hopefully I can avoid any aggressive mating behavior, but if this fish would be a problem I don't mind not having it. I used to have bettas so I am used to having labyrinth fish, I know they need to have space at the top of the tank to breath.

Lastly, what is a good filter and heater for a 46g tank? I've read a ton about fish but I have yet to start reading about equipment (admittedly this is a little backwards) so if anyone can provide some guidance on good brands and where I should be looking, that would be most appreciated.

Any suggestions on beginner plants would be nice too. I plan to have dark substrate and provide places for anyone to hide if they need to.

I will probably have more questions as time goes on. Thank you very much!
    Last edited by verneinen; 06-24-2013 at 11:06 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by verneinen View Post
    Qgz3ECz.png

Hello! I'm currently on the lookout for a 46g bowfront, and I was wondering about a few things. Sorry this will probably be long! I appreciate ANY information you can give, I am a voracious seeker of knowledge.

As you can see, I would love to have two big schools of rasboras (thought about cherry barbs for awhile) and glowlight tetras. I thought it was a good mix of top/mid/bottom schooling. Reading up on these fish I see lots of mentions of meeting minimum population numbers (6+) but nothing about maximums. How many is too many when it comes to schooling fish? Obviously you can overstock but do behavioral problems start cropping up if you have too many in the school? I thought maybe there was no mention because there are no issues, but figured I'd check to be safe.
    The maximum is defined by the tank size. This should work but, despite what aqua advisor says, it's a full tank with this. If this is a freshly cycled tank I'd stock this in phases, start with one species, give it 3-4 weeks and add the next.
    I do want some live plants, and I read that hitch-hiking snails are a common problem and also that Assassin snails are a good solution. Would one or two assassin snails be fine? If there are no problem snails for them to eat will they eat algae wafers/substrate detritus/algae on the glass?
    Yes that should work.
    I'm not sure on the gourami, if I got ghost shrimp, would it eat them? If it would, would amano or some other shrimp be better? I do want to keep shrimp, I enjoy them. How many would be sensible (ghosts or amano) in a 46g that also has corys (do I need more corys?), a pleco (is one okay?) and at least one snail? I only plan on having one gourami so hopefully I can avoid any aggressive mating behavior, but if this fish would be a problem I don't mind not having it. I used to have bettas so I am used to having labyrinth fish, I know they need to have space at the top of the tank to breath.
    Gouramis and shrimp is an uncertainty. There's quite a few that ignore shrimp, there's some that hunt down anything with legs.

Lastly, what is a good filter and heater for a 46g tank? I've read a ton about fish but I have yet to start reading about equipment (admittedly this is a little backwards) so if anyone can provide some guidance on good brands and where I should be looking, that would be most appreciated.

Any suggestions on beginner plants would be nice too. I plan to have dark substrate and provide places for anyone to hide if they need to.

I will probably have more questions as time goes on. Thank you very much!
    Heater, 46g is 174 liter so a 200 watt should do. I like Eheim-jager for heaters so I'd recommend one of those. Filtration, an Eheim classic 2215 is what I'd stick on this tank.

Beginner plants.. some echinodorus latifolius for the foreground/middle ground maybe. Hygrophila polysperma and Aponogeton and vallisneria for the back?

0 Not allowed!
    Good advice from TD but DO be aware that the US conservation service lists Hygrophila polysperma as a noxious weed. There's no denying it's easy to grow

Actually, There are 8 US states that Hygrophila polysperma is listed as a noxious or invasive plant and is either quarantined or prohibited altogether.

Even if you live somewhere it's not regulated [As I do & I have it] Please, Be careful with disposal of the cuttings. I microwave mine and then freeze them before I pitch them.

Just a heads up on that.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Wasn't aware of that I'll keep it in mind for the future. Is there a list somewhere i can check when giving plant advice?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Wasn't aware of that I'll keep it in mind for the future. Is there a list somewhere i can check when giving plant advice?
    No worries, That couldn't really be expected to be in your purview my man.

There is a list and I actually meant to include a link but I am multi-tasking and in and out .

Here's a general site: http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxComposite
    & H. Polysperma specifically: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=HYPO3
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    OK, that' sgoing to take some time since it doesn't make any sense initially. There's plants on there as federal noxious that I know for a fact are native to your country.

thanks anyway, I'll check my common recommendations. Would be pointless to advice something that can't be bought and may actually be illegal.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    The maximum is defined by the tank size. This should work but, despite what aqua advisor says, it's a full tank with this. If this is a freshly cycled tank I'd stock this in phases, start with one species, give it 3-4 weeks and add the next. Gouramis and shrimp is an uncertainty. There's quite a few that ignore shrimp, there's some that hunt down anything with legs.
    I was beginning to suspect I was pushing it even though the percentage was still relatively low. 30 schooling fish in a 46g seemed like the upper limits. Glad my brain told me to stop there. Someone advised me about phases on Reddit, especially stressing to add the pleco and corys last so there will have been some time for some algae and stuff to build up.

Would adding the Gourami last maybe influence it to not bother the shrimp since they will be there as part of the environment already? I guess if it just really wants to eat them it will do so. Maybe I'll just get a few shrimp before adding the gourami and see what happens. If it kills them I'll just get my shrimp fix by getting a small tank just for them.

Heater, 46g is 174 liter so a 200 watt should do. I like Eheim-jager for heaters so I'd recommend one of those. Filtration, an Eheim classic 2215 is what I'd stick on this tank.
    Thanks a ton, I'll check into this.

Beginner plants.. some echinodorus latifolius for the foreground/middle ground maybe. Hygrophila polysperma and Aponogeton and vallisneria for the back?
    Thank you! I've been poking around using these are jumping-off points. I did want a floating leaf plant for the gourami and it looks like some hybrid Aponogeton Undulatus do produce floating leaves. I'm hoping these would be common enough to find without too much difficulty? If I can't locate some of these, how about watersprite?

In addition to making the gourami happy, I wanted some sort of floating plant so I can have some shade for some variant of anubias barteri to grow on a piece of driftwood. Haven't decided which variant yet, still reading, but something like the nana variant sounds neat since it flowers.
    Last edited by verneinen; 06-25-2013 at 05:15 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I've had mixed success with water sprite. Rooted it would grow like the blazes for a few weeks, then have spontaneous melted areas, fall apart and grow again. It never did well for me as a floater. amazonian frogbit does really, really well in my tank.

Since H. polysperma might be a bad idea if you're in the states, look into bacopa.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That frogbit looks amazing. I think I prefer that over the hybrid aponogeton, will definitely look for that one first. I wasn't totally sure on watersprite, I only saw that it was mentioned as a beginner floating plant. Now that I've seen the frogbit and your comments on it, watersprite is definitely out. Just to make sure, the frogbit is limnobium laevigatum?

I wasn't a big fan of H. polysperma so it doesn't break my heart being on the potentially banned list. Bacopa monnieri looks like a great alternative.

Will substrate like Eco Complete be enough for these particular plants to grow or will I need to bury some tabs?

0 Not allowed!
    limnobium laevigatum indeed. Don't pay too much and don't buy too much. 3-4 plants is plenty for starters.

That eco complete has a good rep as an all in one solution. Should satisfy even the echinodorus. Worst case you'll need to find a small bit of well rusted iron and do the ancient rusty nail trick. (you take some well rusted unpainted iron, 4-5mm length of nail is already sufficient and you push it well down in the bottom beneath the plant. This way it has very limited oxygen contact and will slowly release iron in a form that's useful to plants (chelated iron).
    I picked this up in the 1980s from a very old fishkeeper who had some amazing Dutch style tanks. Back in the day we didn't have all the fancy plant care products you get now. This old trick still works for me.

But I'm rambling, sorry...