· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Lightbulb Any Apistogramma species suitable for this water or would I be safer for Kribensis?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm planning a tank upgrade and, over the past few weeks, have been reading up on suitable stocking for my heavily planted tank. I currently have cherry barbs, otos, and cory catfish which have all done very well over the past year. I'm upgrading the tank to a 350 litre (four foot) and am thinking about a pair of dwarf cichlids and whether any might be a suitable addition.

I love the look of Apistogramme cacatuoides (Cockatoo) and I've read varying reports of many captive bred specemins doing well in the local water around here, despite it being hard. I'd like some alternative opinions though as I've only read this on breeder forums.

I've found the water report from my local authority and the hardness is listed as "moderately hard":
    CaCO3 = 254.5
    DH = 14.252
    I can't find the usual GH/KH readings in this report.

I know that Kribensis may well be a far better choice as they will thrive in wide ranging parameters...including very hard water. Thoughts?

I'm not decided on any species yet so happy to be guided by advice.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    There are a few species that I think are cooler than others. You wouldnt have much of an issue with them as far as hardness and all that in my opinion .

apistogramma rotpunkt

apistogramma borellii comes in a lot of different variations:

Opal:

Blue:

Red:
    Last edited by KingFisher; 06-24-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: drama
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Appistogramma Agassizii:

Many of the Cochatoo's work... there are the reds, orange flash, blues, etc...

0 Not allowed!
    lots of good choices from Sandz.
    another dwarf species that does well in harder water is the african butterfly cichlid, anomalochromis thomasi.
    Not 100% sure, but I have heard that they are even better than kribs.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, these responses surprise me. I thought it would be an absolute no but this is encouraging so I will investigate more on the cockatoo and agassizii species as those are what caught my eye to start with.

Thanks peeps. (although my shortlist is longer than it was yesterday now!)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I have bred all the above in hardness counts above 200 and 7.8+ ph... I see no reason why you cant keep them. You even are keeping these super touchy blue jelly shrimp, they are doing great right?

0 Not allowed!
    Ah...no, now you mention it. I'm due to update that thread but it's so depressing. I can only see three of the ten blues on a regular basis now (only ever found one blue body though)...I seem doomed with shrimp so I'm not restocking that tank again. I just don't think our water suits them - even the hardy red cherries seem to be dropping off again for mysterious reasons. I'll leave it as is and if they breed, they breed - if they die off I'll just use the tank for growing plantlets on.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That is so strange. No apparent sign of death huh? They are a new "type" so it could be that the shrimp themselves are weak due to the breeding taken to get there, or heck if they are that sensitive to water (which I have a few friends now that have gotten them without issues... then again thats only been a few weeks) they could have died from that. Fish and shrimp are far different in that regard.

0 Not allowed!
    I've had far better success with fish. 52 purchased in March 2012. Lost one in the first week, and the other one died jumping out of a QT treatment tank (through a gap in the lid) and that's the total deaths I've had. Still have 50 today. +1 baby cory bred. Stick to what you're good at

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the cockatoo's are awesome mate.. stunning addition to any tank..

kribs are awesome aswell but they are non stop breeding machines.. could also look at bolivians..

but most of the apistogramma's will do excellent in your planted tank..