· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tank

1. Default New Tank

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm getting a 50 gallon tank that I'm hoping to put in the crayola sand as a substrate the website that I found for it said the sand doesn't bleed or leach its color and a whole lot of other stuff but I was wondering of that's an ok sand to use. Never used sand before and the colors make me think the plants and fish I pit in the tank really stand put

0 Not allowed!
    I had to Google this to find out what Crayola sand is. Aside from the "aesthetically challenging" qualities of the tank you might create using this, I can't find much information on it's "fish safety". A few scattered reports of it being ok but needing a lot of washing before use.

Personally, I'd recommend something a little more natural...but whatever does it for you.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    If this is your first tank I suggest you be careful with "Crayola" color. At first you like the colors but as you learn more about the hobby you realize that its just not a natural looking tank. I had a hot pink substrate but after a while I longed for just a sand base. I'm with firefly, long term you might want to look at something more "natural". My two cents.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think this colored sand will detract from the colors/beauty of any fish you add. I prefer a black substrate, others prefer a natural sand color. Either one of these will serve to enhance the fish, especially when coupled with some live plants. Just my opinion.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to that! !

0 Not allowed!
    I just picked up some black diamond sand, and I like the look of it so far (haven't put in the tank yet though)

0 Not allowed!
    That's a popular product. Personally I like the lighter sands but I've seen enough good tanks built with black sand to know it can work well. Crayola sand seems to come in a few colours and, if I understand the walmart site correctly, it's basically the sand version of "clown vomit" gravel. I'm sure that fish and plants would stand out against a pink or blue sand.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Strictly fr0m an art standp0int, c0ntrast is what creates W0W fact0r. A darker substrate w0uld tend t0 make y0ur fish the f0cal p0int.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, you are heavily criticizing someone's idea...
    With a HEAVY subtext that you feel they are doing everything WRONG; and need to do things your way...
    While almost completely ignoring the actual question...

And you are still baffled when people refer to you as elitist and unhelpful.

OP... if you are trolling, A+, you got them good.

If not, the sand is fairly new, so no one knows how well it will hold up over time. Some people have had to do a lot of washing to get out the fine particulates, others not as much. Maybe luck. Otherwise, people have done well with it, and there are a number of pictures up in various places now where the tanks have been up for over a year. The blue seems popular.
    Looks about 40 Gallon Tank
    Betta, Buenos Aires Tetra, Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus
    Wisteria, Amazon Sword, Java Fern, and my unstoppable Trumpet Snail Army

Looks about 75 Gallon Tank
    Wet and Empty; thinking Scalare, Corydoras, Otocinclus

0 Not allowed!
    Who are you aiming that comment at specifically?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~