9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Petco $1 a gallon

7 77.78%
  • Petsmart $2 a gallon

1 11.11%
  • Neither/Other

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Petsmart $2 a gallon or Petco $1 a gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    Petsmart is currently having a $2 per gallon sale which includes the tank, hood, and light. I know that Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale next week but I also am pretty sure that they don't include anything beyond the tank. Which one do you think is a better deal? I'm looking at getting a 50 or 55 gallon.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Really depends on what you are planning to do with it. If you want live plants buy at petco and get your own light setup. The light included at petsmart will not grow much for plants.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not planning to grow and plants at this time...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've only ever had a 20 gallon tank. Looking for something bigger but still planning to have it as some sort of community, schooling tank. Should I be looking at the 40, 50, or 55 gallon tanks? Space is not a problem as I have a finished, empty basement.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Generally, the hood and light (usually a candescent light) that come with the tanks are not very good. They can cause quite a bit of condensation leading to a scary water/electricity meeting under the hood. Not good. Candescent light is also a source of heat that will warm your water, and because it is in the red/yellow spectrum it can lead to algae growth if you have it on too long. My tank came with a cheap hood and the first thing I did was toss it. I replaced it with a glass cover, and a light strip that minimized condensation while keeping the light safe.

It sounds to me as if you can get more tank for your buck with the $1 per gallon deal. With the size of tank you are looking for you are not going to want cheap stuff covering it so you will end up replacing it anyway. Good luck.

0 Not allowed!
    The 75gal tank I bought from Petsmart came with glass canopies, which I prefer (though, I didn't buy at the $2/gal price). That's the only added benefit of purchasing from Petsmart. Any heater or light you get from petsmart in this bundle will likely suck. I'd go with Petco and just buy items that will last and work efficiently.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Petsmart has the 40 that I want (18" wide) for $80....anyone know if Petco offers that same size tank at $1/gallon?....

From my (only) experience so far in fishkeeping with the 10 gallon "kit", Kevin is right, all the accessories do indeed "suck"

I would love to get the 40 that I want for $40, I'd do it now....and add my accessories as the budget allows....I don't even have the space for it yet (thought I did, but Angie (wife) doesn't like the spot I picked)...but for $40, I at least have room to stash the tank until I'm ready to think about where it goes and what's going in it...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I don't even have the space for it yet (thought I did, but Angie (wife) doesn't like the spot I picked)...but for $40, I at least have room to stash the tank until I'm ready to think about where it goes and what's going in it...
    lol, I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I know my wife wouldn't tolerate me setting up another tank... but these deals are too good to pass up. ;P

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I've the PERFECT spot for our little house...we have a big (69" long, 33" tall, 18" deep) set of a solid wood chest/drawer deal that the TV sits on in the living room..all the cd's dvd's etc. are in the drawers....It's an OLD TV...a CRT TV!!...someone gave it to us, can't believe it still works...but when it's "done" working, the only obvious choice is to buy a flat panel, that HANGS ON THE WALL...

What to do with all that free space I'm freeing up on that chest??...what to do, what to do...

When I'm bored with commercials, just look down at my new awesome tank, no?

She doesn't like it....just don't get it...dang it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, I like your thinking. There are some choice areas in the house where I could place a 29-55 (even another 75 or 90)gal tank, but the wife is unappreciative of any of my ideas. lol