· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Tiger barb issues

0 Not allowed!
    Last week one of my tiger barbs died, I had 6 (2 green and 4 normal). The water quality was tested and fine, the tank is fully cycled and I can't find any reason for its sudden death. It didn't look nipped or anything. The fish that died was one of the larger fish and watching their behaviour this fish was the leader of their little pack. When he died the other fish acted differently for a day or two as can be expected, now two of the younger males have risen sharply in their aggression.

These two males are always red faced and are chasing the other three around and around constantly. These two fish were not dominant before, one of them was very bosterous but never this aggressive. I havent seen any fin nipping but its a constant chase which isnt a game. The other fish look drained and obviously arent playing.

This morning one of the fish that was getting chased last night looked half dead at the top of the tank. I quickly removed it, added some health gaurd and aerated the mini tank i'd moved it to. It seemed to look better quite quickly. However the two small males just kept on chasing the reminaing two barbs in the tank, again the colour of these fish was draining away.

I got so concerned that at the moment the two agressive barb small males are isolated in an isolation tank i have, they are still in the main tank but in a floating isolcation tank (divided in half so they cant get to each other, although the HAVE NOT BEEN FIGHTING EACH OTHER). The fish i removed today is now back in the tank and all look well.

My question is really is their something going on with them. Did the death trigger this or is in a "coming into season thing"...the two males are small and may have only just reached sexual maturity as they did have red faces before. I want to know how to solve this/reduce this. I want to add two more barbs but dont know if its best to add a) large males to readjust the power balance b) more females to distribute the chasing if its do to with spawning c) simply add any as its to do with numbers.

Just for information i believe the remaining fish that are causing issues are all female, i am sure two are female and think the third is. I am also confident that the troublesome two are both males.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    If you have the space in the tank, up the numbers to at least 12. And try to stock it with only 3 males, and 9females. This will cuase their fighting to be more spread out. If you can stock more females then go ahead. Tbs require larger schools in order to noth kill each other.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!