· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post Problems stacking up

0 Not allowed!
    Well, recently I have noticed quite a lot of things I need to fix with my tanks, and I hope to get everything fixed with one thread. All help is appreciated.

[1] Fish getting bent/deformed
    This only applies to my 5 by 7 foot tropical pond.
    I also want to note that I've had this pond pretty successful for about a year and a half.

The two fish with this problem is one turquoise rainbow, and one rosy barb. The rosy barb has been like this for quite some time and this happened to the rainbowfish recently(No idea how). To describe them, the rainbow's body is bent if you are looking at it from the top, and when I moved it to the small temporary tank and saw the side view, it looked slightly similar to the "balloon" fish(EW), but not completely. Here's where I'm confused. The barb use to have a bent body(from top view),but now it only has one problem. Is nose/front area is bent down(kinda hard to describe), but acts regular.
    There are only two guesses that I have in mind:
    (1) Disease/parasite
    (2) Lobster. He's blue, probably 7 inches long, but he prefers hiding in his cave. The only things he's ever done is claw a blue gourami(which went right between its claws, but won't ever again), and there is a hint that he may have damaged a large pleco's tail(maybe 7-9 inches) Other than that, there is no problems. The barbs and rainbows are never in any caves, so I don't know if he attacked them. He's actually pretty shy, I don't know if this is normal or not.

My main concern is can this spread? I do have them currently removed, and I don't want this community to be disturbed(it was poisoned a year ago during the winter while putting a "safe cover" over it, resulting in everything dying. The stocking was horrible though). I am still working on the stocking of the pond, which is currently ok(need to complete schools),but in a few months I will have improved this pond extremely.

*Everything else applies to my 55 gallon tank.

[2] Hydra

There are a few small hydra in my 55 gallon, which I managed to somehow spot today. There are a few on the tank walls and a few on rocks. I also saw hair algae, which was instantly found by my bristlenose pleco and annhialated(I didn't expect it to eat it so fast lol). I doubt hair algae is a problem because of the bristlenose, but if you know anything about it I should watch out for, please tell.
    Anyways, the reason this worries me is because I read that if they manage to get on a fish, they can supposedly sting them, which can be fatal. The current stock is 1 pearl gourami, 5 zebra loach, 8 neon rainbows, 4 Madagascan rainbows, and 1 BN pleco. My worry is that one will kill a zebra loach/my BN pleco. They are all 1 3/4-2 1/2 inches. I know that the hydra cant consume anything this size, but the risk of them getting stung is too much. I doubt the gourami can wipe out the whole population of hydra, so I am going to take a diffirent approach instead of depending on the gourami to wipe out the population. So, I don't know if this will work, but:

[3] Looking for a snail in the 55 gallon

Well, here's how I got this idea. In the past I had a problem with snails and hydra in my 8 gallon nano shrimp tank, but as one pest's population got bigger, the other got smaller. I had asked for help with snails here and was told that water changes, less feeding, and assassin snails worked. I still haven't got rid of them, but they ended up being useful. Due to them not having anything to eat, I am assuming that the snails ate the hydra. There is now not a trace of any hydra in the 8 gallon tank. I have also read that some snails will eat hydra, but there are a few obstacles in my way;
    (1) Loaches, it is going to have to be a big enough snail that loaches around 2 inches won't mess with.
    (2) Don't want them destroying plants.

If there is a snail that is ok for algae eating and meets these conditions, that would be great. There is a slight amount of algae at the top of the tank because the pleco only likes to browse everything on the tank floor, so it would be ideal.

All help and suggestions are appreciated.
    Thank you

0 Not allowed!
    OK...

Algae and snails are traditional to hate but really, they are part of your eco system.

First attempt at hydra should, I think, always be to stop feeding your fish for some days. Quite a lot of fish will then hunt hydra

The bent bodies worries me a lot, mycobacterium or fish tbc has this as a symptom and that's a nasty one to have.

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have read, deformities in fish that look like they are bent are typically a result of one of three situations: stunting, poor diet, or in-breeding (leading to things as mentioned above). I would start looking into those three possibilities first.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Cliff: I forgot to mention that the barb came with it, but the rainbow is the only one. Ill be sure to fix up their diet if that's the case.

@talldutchie: Will do. Is it possible for the hydra to harm my fish? Most of them aren't even a centimeter.

5. Red face

0 Not allowed!
    What should I do with the two fish? They are in a diffirent tank at the moment to avoid risks.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post

@talldutchie: Will do. Is it possible for the hydra to harm my fish? Most of them aren't even a centimeter.
    No, hydra are some threat to fry and smaller shrimp but that's it.

The two curved fish, QT and post a pic or two.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I'll take pictures soon. I bought them both at petsmart, and their policy is you have 2 weeks to return them. The rosy barbs were 2 months ago, and the rainbow was 1 year ago. They were fairly cheap so it's not really a big deal.

0 Not allowed!
    What's a hydra?
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Freshwater Aquarium pest related to sea anemones. Looks like a small, thin stalk on hard surfaces in the tank with long trailing arms branching off from a point. Is unsightly and harmful to young shrimp and fish. Comes from overfeeding and with favorable conditions,may cover every cm2 the tank.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My fish are freaking out from just one day of low feeding... I saw a rainbow eat half of a hydra today... Hope it's not harmful. Pictures very soon.