· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Your tank is uncycled and the ammonia is probably rising. Yesterdays test results don't mean much today. Do a large water change and the fish should perk up for a bit, until the ammonia starts to rise again.
    So even adding the old filter, running both the new and old, it isn't giving the jump start it needs? How much longer do you think it will take? I mean as filthy as the old filter was, I really thought it would give the new tank the boost it needed to keep things sustainable for the fish to acclimate to the new environment. Also, this is actually day 8 and not 6. I started last Wednesday, it is Thursday now.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    The numbers you posted from the tests you did yesterday seem to show the tank is not cycled. Adding a used filter does not always work and in this case it seems it did not work.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The numbers you posted from the tests you did yesterday seem to show the tank is not cycled. Adding a used filter does not always work and in this case it seems it did not work.
    Well, I checked all 3 ornaments today in and out after changing 50% of the water. The 2 zebra danio fish are MIA. I have no idea how they could disappear. I briefly looked into the two filter machines and nothing caught my eye.

I suppose I can check again after seeing if the water helped them any bit. Is it possible that one of the fish is eating the other?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    It is quite possible for fish to eat fish. Another option is maybe they jumped out, have you checked around the tank?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is quite possible for fish to eat fish. Another option is maybe they jumped out, have you checked around the tank?
    Checked all around, did not see it. The two zebra danio are still MIA and I have no seen the clown loach come out of its hiding so far this morning. The pink fish is now pretty much sitting in one corner. This is definitely a lesson to be learned for me. My only guess right now is that its either in the filter machines and I need to scope it out inside and out to find the dead fish or the rubberlip plecko gobbled them up.

Now to figure out what type of fish and plant I should buy.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to provide an update as of 07/17/2013:

The "pink" fish seems to be moving around again, although he's still mostly hovering around the left corner, I do sometimes see him roaming around the entire tank.

The plecko I am seeing coming out more often now, from what I've been told with the previous owner, he's not carnivorous as far as she knows, that all he usually eats is algae and being that this is a new tank I don't think there is enough food. I've read that they will eat cucumber and other types of vegetable too, so I'm going to bring him some of that in hopes of getting him food and keeping him well until I give him out to petsmart or someone.

The clown loach seems to be making more appearances out of his hiding spot now, but does not come out to eat when I put some food down. I do see him come out when I'm not near by or when he knows there isn't anyone within the vicinity. As soon as I come near the tank, he will go back to his hiding spot. I know clown loaches are better off with a school of their own kind, but it's odd that it did completely fine in the old tank with the same group of fish (not his own kind), and in this one not. I guess the new environment is one he will either take a while to get used to or might not at all.

I'm going to do one more water change, but about 25-30% since the fish seems to be doing better during the end of the week. I want to introduce more fish, but really want to see how things are going with the current fish before I commit on doing so.

One more thing is, last week, I bought a hornwort plant and put that in the tank. I know those grow fast and sometimes take over the whole tank, but I'm prepared and will try to control it to the best of my ability. I did it as a last means since the fish were not doing well at all last week. I read that it provides more oxygen for the fish and other benefits.

Does anyone know how long till I change the water the second time, that I should test the water levels? Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks!
    Last edited by phyl0x; 07-17-2013 at 12:39 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    You can check water parameters at any time - if your readings don't show a cycled tank (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites) and ammonia/nitrites are over .25ppm, you do a water change - like 50%.

Likewise if your tank is cycled but your nitrates are over 20ppm - same situation - water change.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you cant find your fish, try moving the rocks or decor around to see if there dead. Dead fish are no good for a tank also. Again, you need to rehome the Loach and Pleco ASAP..
    First tank- 1 Mollys, 2 Platies and a snail - 10G

"Make sure your worst enemy doesn't live between your own two ears." - Laird Hamilton

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, just wanted to post another update as of 07/20/2013.

Water level readings are attached:

Ammonia seems to be at 0 PPM
    Nitrite at 0 PPM
    Nitrate at 0 PPM

So, looks like everything is cycled then? Am I at the point where I can introduce new fish?

Also, never ended up finding the two danios; my only guess is they died and somehow the rubberlip plecko whose only diet as far as I read is algae and basically green food may have consumed them. The loach appears to be extremely shy, it will come out sometimes and as soon as it sees me, it will run back inside and hide. Even if I put flake food down, it will not come out, but the other day I threw a small slice of a carrot and I saw it nibbling on it for a while. I am most likely going to do the big move from my work place to my house tomorrow, so I will be giving the loach and plecko to the store then.

20130720_170923.jpg20130720_170928.jpg20130720_170933.jpg

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update as of 07/23/2013:

I did not get a chance to take it home, but the pink tetra seems to be more lively and roaming around the tank freely now. I'm also seeing the clown loach as of today making more appearances and roaming around as well, but sometimes goes back into hiding. Odd thing about the loach is that it keeps on nibbling around almost everything i.e., the gravel, ornaments, plant, carrots, etc. I mean, I've been feeding it properly, a little bit more than usual after seeing its behavior with constant nibbling. This morning I did the usual flake food and saw it eating that.