· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    +1 to the above. Do not replace the cartridge(s). The manufacturer will tell you to replace them so they can constantly sell you new ones. You will lose your cycle and all your BB if you replace them. If possible, very gently rinse them in old tank water when you do your water change. Do not rinse them in tap water.

What type and brand of filters do you have? Is it possible to add a different type of filter media?
    The old one is the penguin 170 filter machine and the filter its using if I remember correctly is from Petsmart, I believe it is Marineland brand.

The new one is a Top Fin filter machine, using their own brand filter I'm about 70% sure, I'll have to check it tomorrow.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phyl0x View Post
    The old one is the penguin 170 filter machine and the filter its using if I remember correctly is from Petsmart, I believe it is Marineland brand.

The new one is a Top Fin filter machine, using their own brand filter I'm about 70% sure, I'll have to check it tomorrow.
    I checked these out online and I don't see any way to add any other type of filter media, as the cartridges fit into slots. Continue to gently rinse the filter cartridges in old tank water about once a month. Don't rinse them both at the same time. Alternate rinsing, one filter one week and the other one in 2 weeks. That way you aren't disturbing the BB (beneficial bacteria) in both at the same time. You need the filter cartridge in the new filter to be in the tank for 5-6 weeks to be seeded with BB. Then you can remove the old filter.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    I checked these out online and I don't see any way to add any other type of filter media, as the cartridges fit into slots. Continue to gently rinse the filter cartridges in old tank water about once a month. Don't rinse them both at the same time. Alternate rinsing, one filter one week and the other one in 2 weeks. That way you aren't disturbing the BB (beneficial bacteria) in both at the same time. You need the filter cartridge in the new filter to be in the tank for 5-6 weeks to be seeded with BB. Then you can remove the old filter.
    That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you. When the time comes, I'm going to completely remove the old filter and the machine that goes with it, then replace it with this that I got a pretty good deal on - EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter with Media. Model # 2217371:

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phyl0x View Post
    That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you. When the time comes, I'm going to completely remove the old filter and the machine that goes with it, then replace it with this that I got a pretty good deal on - EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter with Media. Model # 2217371:
    That is a lot of filter for a 20 gal.

Load it up with the sponge as the first filter media (on the bottom) and then biomedia - no carbon, then filter floss if wanted. I use the Fluval BioMax ceramic rings in my AC110s. They can be used in any filter that uses biomedia. Put them in a biomedia bag for easy removal when cleaning the canister.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, so it's been about 5 days since they've been put in the new tank. The first day they were hanging around the right corner of the tank. Then days 2-4 they appeared normal and roaming around everywhere. Day 5, today, they seem to be just hiding in the left corner of the tank. This time they are really hiding but in the left corner of the tank, some inside the ornaments I have, especially the clown loach hiding in the same place as the plecko. Any idea what is causing them to go back to this odd behavior?

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tested the parameters? Knowing the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels might help us figure out what is going on. If I remember correctly your tank is inappropriately stocked, meaning you have schooling/social fish but not enough for a proper school/group, and that could also be contributing to the behavior.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Have you tested the parameters? Knowing the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels might help us figure out what is going on. If I remember correctly your tank is inappropriately stocked, meaning you have schooling/social fish but not enough for a proper school/group, and that could also be contributing to the behavior.
    Here are my water levels:
    PH Level 7.6
    High Range PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0

Attached pics in case I may have interpreted wrong for w/e reason.

20130710_084508.jpg20130710_084515.jpg20130710_091036.jpg20130710_091042.jpg

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The clown loach seemed a bit more lively today, as did the zebra danio but the other danio seems to be missing for 3 days now. The clown loach goes back in hiding for the most part. I know these are primarily school fish types, but they were doing just fine in the old tank where the water has not been cycled for a month and half and just covered with algae. My worst fear is that the missing danio is stuck in one of the ornaments and probably dead by now. They still seem to be hanging in the left corner for the most part. I also noticed what appeared to be a reddish gill on the danio. Not sure what is going on but it's starting to seem like all the fish are going to die soon.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today is day 6 - the clown loach is always in hiding now, one of the two zebra danio fish has been MIA for over 3 days now (i suspect hes hiding in one of the ornaments and possibly dead) and the other zebra danio that seemed to roam around also went into hiding, i occassionally see the pleco come out of its hiding, a little more than usual. The pink fish that I have has been just sitting still one spot. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and worried that all of the fish is in the process of dieing. I tested the water levels yesterday and the results I put in my last post.

Need some advice quick.....

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is uncycled and the ammonia is probably rising. Yesterdays test results don't mean much today. Do a large water change and the fish should perk up for a bit, until the ammonia starts to rise again.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.