· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Help

1. Default Help

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, I've been going along pretty well. Weekly water changes, happy fish. But now I have a sick oto. If I had to describe his issue, it looks like a sore that has developed a white 'fluff' nearby. I've added tetracycline (sp), and just in case pimafix. I'm into my second day of dosing. I don't have a hospital tank, sorry. He's restricted to the 'breeder' tank floating along with his own food. I'll try to post a picture, but it's not that great. He's awfully swollen in his belly.

Any ideas?

Well, for the life of me I can't figure out how to post a picture

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Because most Ottos are live caught and go through a lot of stress getting to the market, they are often very sensitive and sometimes they're difficult to keep alive. For the sake of your other fish (in case he might have something contagious), you might want to remove him from the tank and put him in as large of a container as you can find. He's so small that maybe a gallon ice cream bucket - if you have nothing else - would work for a QT in a pinch. Put an air stone or bubbler in with him for oxygenation and he'll be fine without a filter if you do daily water changes. And since you're in Oklahoma, I don't think you'd need a heater unless you keep your air conditioning on really cold.
    Not ideal but, like I said, it will do in a pinch.
    I'd go lightly on the pimafix if you're also using other medication. It's also risky to dose meds when you don't know what's wrong. They could do more harm than good. Bloating doesn't sound good though.

Hopefully someone else will have a better idea of what's wrong and what to do but IME with ottos, once they show signs of illness, they generally don't recover. Hope I'm wrong.
    Good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    For the sore and fluff, you Might try changing as much water as practically possible with the medication schedule. Fluffy sounds a bit like fungus. Do you have any antifungal meds you could use in conjunction? The swollen belly usually occurs with new otos. Ive never had a single oto with a swollen belly survive, but who knows, maybe you will be lucky.
    Last but not least, how long have you had the oto, and where is the sore?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the pimafix is supposed to be an antifungal. I used it last fall with my goldies & it worked well. And it's a crap shoot on how long I've had him. I had 3 and I added 2. And sry, it sounds crass, but they all look alike. the sore seems to be on his back..kinda toward the side.

the other fish seem to be doing just fine.

I have a large glass cookie jar. Should I rinse it and put him in there? Should I dose the main aquarium to prevent the fungus.. if that's the issue?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If none of the other fish are showing any signs of fungus, I wouldn't dose it with meds but I'd make some extra water changes in that tank as a precaution. Clean water is the best fix for fungus if that's what it is.

If the cookie jar is what you've got then it will have to do. Like I said, otto's are little guys. as long as you can get an airstone in there for some oxygenation and change large amounts of water daily, you don't have to worry about ammonia or nitrate build up - simply because he's so little.
    Note: I wouldn't rec this for an ongoing QT even for small fish. You may want to get a 5 or 10 gallon and run an extra small filter on your main tank so you have a seeded filter ready for the next time you need a QT.

again, good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thx guys for trying to help, you gave me more help that anyone else. But I came home to a dead oto :( I guess I tried. LFS says to keep doing the treatment, just in case there's something amiss with any others

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your loss, sounds like you tried your best...I am going to try to avoid ottos in my future tank for the very reasons described above, they are handled roughly when caught in the wild...they are usually stressed when they finally arrive at the LFS...and many die soon after arriving at the LFS from the stress...the ones that make it, and are bought, are many times prone to illness due to the stress
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love them, they are very sweet. But I guess I'll keep my few and enjoy my corys. I'll just have to work now with any algae. lol

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommabear View Post
    I love them, they are very sweet. But I guess I'll keep my few and enjoy my corys. I'll just have to work now with any algae. lol
    Snails and shrimp are good at helping with algae control, too!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm will shrimp be ok alone? Will they bother my fish? And do they require special care?

I know even less about snails. I don't want to end up with a giant herd of snails