· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Is my cycle stuck?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

I'm getting back into aquariums after almost 20yrs away from the hobby. I dusted off my old 55g flat back hex and custom stand and to my surprise it still held water. SOOOOO I set it up. I plan on having Discus again, but for now I'm cycling my tank with fish (fishless cycling is new to me and I'm just now finding out about it). My tank has been setup since May, my first batch of fish (sad to say) I only have 2 surviving neons... I did leave a few of the dead in the tank 4 or 5, but in the canister filter to help seed the ammonia. My tank has been at .5 ppm according to the API test kit for at least 2 weeks, with no signs of Nitrite or Nitrate. Is there anything I can do to move the cycle along?

Currently I have: 2 plecos, 4 rams, 2 corys, 1 rainbow shark and 2 (surviving) neons. My temp is ~80F. Filtration is a Fluval 406, and an undergravel filter.

Thanks

Rich

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hi and welcome back to the hobby
    when you cycle with fish, you're looking at 2 sometimes 3 months before your filters can grow enough beneficial bacteria to support the bioload of your fish.
    you're goal, as you cycle, is to keep your ammonia at .25. no higher. The only way to do that is with water changes and a good water conditioner such as seachems prime. That may mean daily 50% water changes until the cycle is complete. once you start seeing nitrites you also want to keep them no higher than .25
    Even at .5 ammonia an nitrites are dangerous for your fish.
    You have all bottom dwellers (but for the 2 neons) and toxins settle toward the bottom of the tank so the concentration of ammonia is worst there.
    if it were my tank, I'd take the plecos, rams, corys and shark back to the lfs and get some hardier fish - such as zebra danios to help complete your cycle. Your bottom dwellers are all in danger of succombing first to the ammonia then to the nitrites when they start. those fish should be the last fish you add to a tank AFTER it's cycled. Better yet, take the neons back too and start a fishless cycle (stickie in the beginners section walks you through it and we will also be glad to help with questions) and you'll have your tank cycled in about 3 weeks.
    sorry. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear.
    if you decided to keep them, then step up on the water changes to keep your ammonia at .25 (no higher) and get those dead neons out of there. the tank will eventually cycle but you've got a long way to go.
    good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    With what was said above, you should add Seachem Prime daily. Add it at the recommended dose to help with the ammonia and nitrite until you have enough bacteria to take care of it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    With what was said above, you should add Seachem Prime daily. Add it at the recommended dose to help with the ammonia and nitrite until you have enough bacteria to take care of it.
    thanks for clarifying that. absolutely. add prime with each water change - enough to dose the entire tank even if you only do a partial water change.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Unfortunately I'm stuck with the fish, so I have to make it work. Will do a partial water change this weekend and will pick up a bottle of seachem. And I hate to disturb the filter but ill get what's left of the neons out.

Things have change a lot since I had my tanks setup.

-Rich

0 Not allowed!
    I did leave a few of the dead in the tank 4 or 5, but in the canister filter to help seed the ammonia.

Actually, you are not looking to seed the ammonia, but seed with bacteria - the ammonia you need to feed & grow bacteria in the filter comes from the fish currently living in the tank - from their waste (or adding pure ammonia if you are cycling without fish) - the way to "seed" your media is to put media from an established filter into your filter.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies