· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

Default Want to set up my 55 for africans.

0 Not allowed!
    Since I got my 150 gallon going and moved my fish over to it, I have been running my 55g to keep the cycle going by feeding my pet bacteria a few drops of ammonia every few days. I have upped the pH to 7.6 with baking soda so far (and am trying for 8.2) and dosed with cichlid salt, did a 30% WC to rid 'Trates and my girlfriend has been wanting to keep african cichlids for awhile now. I have no clue about african cichlid compatibility. My friend is going to give me a few adult yellow labids to start with and I would like to know what else I can safely keep with them. We have looked at blue ahli's, convicts (i believe), and bumble bees. I don't dare ask the goobers at the store in town their 2 bits, I'm sure I would be sorry in the end. I think I would like to have around 10-12 fish if that is acceptable. So, here am I, with yet more questions to pontificate over. As always, you guys rock and thank you.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Convicts are Central American cichlids.

55's are tough for Africans. You could keep all male haps and peacocks. Overstock it to spread out aggression. Look into Malawi cichlids and see which ones you like. Or if you want to mess with fry, get a hareem. 1 male, to 2 or 3 females. Again, look into cichlids from Lake Malawi for a hareem too. You may be able to have 2 harems in a 55. But it would depend on the fish.

Or you could look into some of the smaller fish from Lake Tanganyika. You could have a large number of different fish from that lake.

Either way you go, make sure the fish you want are compatible.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    ok, will look into these options a bit further, there are 2 stores a few towns over that I would trust enough to consult with about african cichlids. The one here in town are chowder heads. The other guys may have to order the Tanganyikas for me, they always stock Malawis. My ignorance in these cichlids should prove an interesting challenge, lol. Then again, that's why I'm HERE. Thank you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my 75 I have yellow labs, red zebras, and auratus cichlids (with 2 leftover rusties that seem pretty tough).

If you are going to be buying from a store and get some from friends, get the store ones first, they will be much smaller and easier to be picked on. You should either go all male or just two species, you could even do a species tank and it would be super pretty.

There are a bunch of cookie cutter stocking lists via google too.

And if you go yellow labs and one other species make sure it is a comparable adult size fish. A lot of the malawi cichlids are 4-5 inches and the bumblebee cichlids gets bigger than that.

And if you went single species you can see/ trade fry without worrying about cross breeds.

0 Not allowed!
    African cichlids get confusing. There are so many different ones, from different lakes. I would really suggest trying an all male hap/peacock tank for a 55. You should be able to have 12 to 15 of them. Really overfilter the tank, and keep up on the water changes. Use rocks for decor. I like lace rock. But lots of people use Texas holy rock. Sand works well for their substrate too. You can use substrate made for Africans. They tend to cost more, but may help keep the PH high for you too. I use aragonite sand. You can also use crushed coral. Carib Sea makes a black and white sand mix that looks really nice. Carib Sea actually makes a big variety of substrate for Africans.

Research them a lot. There is a ton of good info out there. Much better than what I can give. I am just getting into Africans myself. So PLEASE don't take anything I say as an absolute.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    Research them a lot. There is a ton of good info out there. Much better than what I can give. I am just getting into Africans myself. So PLEASE don't take anything I say as an absolute.
    Thank you for your candor, it is really appreciated.
    I am looking for crushed coral, but might just go with sand. I have a bunch of slate to stack and will find some other stones as well.
    My friends labs are about 5 inches or so, I will certainly look into all these facts and options a bit more. My girl has her heart set on the bright colors but I really want to make sure it isn't going to be a slugfest in there, so it's time to do some homework to avoid as much aggression as possible. Trying to get headed in the right direction from the rip is the hardest part!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Longshot, if I was you I would do an all male Peacock tank. They stay small enough for a 55gal and have way more color and flash. I keep a really varried mix of africans in a 75gal but 55 limits everything. Check out Sunshine Yellow Mbenga Peacocks, Eureka Reds, heck just type in peacock cichlids in google images and look through. All male and never 2 of the same male species as one will dominate the other and one becomes less colorful.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    If pH needs increasing, just get some coral shells and scatter them around in the tank and take care of that naturally. Mbuna's need to be kept to only Mbuna's. All you need is a whole lot of rock work or slate. You should have one male to 3-4 females.

If you want to keep that cycle going, you need full doses daily, not drops every few days. You need to keep a good supply of bacteria living so you can overstock all at once.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/malmbuna.htm
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-12-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks yall! @sandz- the color is where it at!!
    @Lady Hobbs- thank you for that, I didnt figure that actual fish made much more than the equivalent to a few drops of straight ammonia, but I will add it as prescribed. My pet bacteria are so cute!!!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Easy ph buffer is using coral and texas holy rock in the tank. Honestly you dont need these super hard PH unless you are going to do wilds. The tank bred fish are raised in med hard water with medium ph's. Its not some wild discus you need to match 100% but the hardness is always good for stability.

parting shot:
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's