· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

View Poll Results: Water change percentage after fishless cycle.

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50-60%

1 14.29%
  • 80-90%

5 71.43%
  • Unsure

0 0%
  • Other

1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Partial water change after fishless cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard that some say to change 80-90% water change and others have said 50-60%. So whatever it is I'm not sure which one to use. You can comment or simply just vote on the poll and I'll take majority and do that.
    Last edited by Joshua8095; 06-22-2013 at 01:54 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the size of the water change you make after a fishless cycle depends on how hi your nitrates read. If you're only showing 20ppm nitrates, 50 - 60% would be fine. but if you're showing 40 and above, do an 80 - 90 % or even a 100% water change to get them down to to 10 or below.
    Remember - your beneficial bacteria lives in your filter and filter media (and some in the substrate and hardscape) NOT in your water so you can change out 100% of your water and not affect your BB.
    Make sense?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    the size of the water change you make after a fishless cycle depends on how hi your nitrates read. If you're only showing 20ppm nitrates, 50 - 60% would be fine. but if you're showing 40 and above, do an 80 - 90 % or even a 100% water change to get them down to to 10 or below.
    Remember - your beneficial bacteria lives in your filter and filter media (and some in the substrate and hardscape) NOT in your water so you can change out 100% of your water and not affect your BB.
    Make sense?
    Sure thank you so much for all your help.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    I just do a 90% pwc. Why bother keeping in too much water if there is no fish in there to stress out? Thats my reasoning anyways
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    I just do a 90% pwc. Why bother keeping in too much water if there is no fish in there to stress out? Thats my reasoning anyways
    + to that!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I always change as much water as I can

Fish will do their best when they get a lot of fresh clean water
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I change 50-75% every week. I wasn't able to vote in the poll. Guess I can only do that in chatterbox for some reason.

0 Not allowed!
    I chose "other," because like FM said, it depends on your nitrate level. Sometimes you have to do multiple water changes to get the nitrate level down. Sometimes you only have to do a smaller percentage, because you're already keeping live plants, which consumes the same waste matter that beneficial bacteria eats, so your nitrates are lower.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I change 50-75% every week. I wasn't able to vote in the poll. Guess I can only do that in chatterbox for some reason.
    Unsure of why you can't take the poll it should be located at the top of the screen of this post. I was think about only changing 10-20% of the water weekly after the cycle and large water change was complete. I just feel doing that large of a percentage would be a shock to the fish. Thank you for your information.

0 Not allowed!
    It could be, if you were swapping out one ph or temp with another ph or temp. Just be sure to match the temperature of the tank with the temp of the tap. Make sure there's not a big leap in pH from the tap, too. If there's not and the temp is the same, it won't matter how large your water changes are. Just be sure to use Prime.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.