· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default I don't know what's happening!

0 Not allowed!
    My 20g established for over a year now is having issues. All my tests are well within normal range. Ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 nitrate: 0 pH: 6.8. My 2 cherry barbs, 2 black phantom tetras and my bushy nose pleaco are all showing signs of fin rot. Their tails are fraying and my pleaco has a hole in its tale like a helicopter lol. The only thing I've changed recently was that I started switching my bulbs between day and night lighting. Please someone help.
    37 Gallon Community: (3)Diamond Tetra (1) Black Phantom Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (4) Silvertip Tetra (5) rummy nose tetra (1) "fancy" angel (4) Serpae Tetra (2) Neon Dwarf Gourami (8) Plants

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrate: 40 sorry
    37 Gallon Community: (3)Diamond Tetra (1) Black Phantom Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (4) Silvertip Tetra (5) rummy nose tetra (1) "fancy" angel (4) Serpae Tetra (2) Neon Dwarf Gourami (8) Plants

0 Not allowed!
    It's not the Nitrates at 40, even so, that's getting up there and you ought to do a water change immediately. Have a quick look at the fish diseases link on the left for help on getting the right product to cure your fish.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    Could something have been nipping your fish? Nipped fins very easily develop into fin-rot. You have very small incomplete schools which can often cause nippiness in schooling fish. Black Skirts can have a reputation for being nasty when not kept in adequate schools.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've watched my fish and they don't generally go after each other at all so I don't think that is the problem. I don't understand about the nitrates.....a lot of what I have read says at that 40 is fine and they have been consistently at 40 for awhile now. I do regular weekly 25% water changes. I test at least once a month and numbers don't waver. I use seachem prime, salt, and microbe special blend, nothing else. The only fish who don't seem to have a prolem are my diamond tetras, silver tip tetras and my shrimp.

0 Not allowed!
    I would up your water changes to 50% a week. 40 is waaay high, I'd never let mine get that high. I try to keep mine at 10ppm or less. I do a WC if it starts heading up to 20ppm. 40ppm isn't gunna kill your fish, but it DOES make them more susceptible to infections... Like finrot.

Also just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. A lot of fish aggression happens at night. Took me bloody ages to figure out who was picking off fish in one of my tanks once because they only did it at night.

I'm guessing someone got nipped, and the infection got in because of the high nitrate level. Fish are much more likely to get infections in water with higher levels of disolved organic waste.