· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: New 120 Gallon

1. Default New 120 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new 120 gallon tank. I haven't decided what to put in it yet. My first tank above 75, it sits in the soon to be home office. The room is painted, the tank is in place. But, what to put in it? I'd prefer freshwater and I like planted tanks. I've been considering discuss, but the water here has a very high Ph (fighting the water chemistry isn't my first choice) and finding the fish around here is proving to be a challenge. The best I can find is a shop owner 20 miles away that says he can't guarantee what condition wild caught he can get. Any thoughts? 3 guppies and a betta?

0 Not allowed!
    If you have naturally high ph, there's plenty of fish that thrive in that environment. I am not the fresh expert, but I believe Discus are one of those as well as African Cichlids. More knowledgeable folks will be able to advise. BTW, you can safely order any fish online and receive healthy fish, many here do, salt and fresh. Good Luck!
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    Discus prefer soft acidic water as they are a South American fish.

If you don't want to muck around with your pH there are plenty of African species which would fit the bill, and are also very colourful and beautiful. You could do a Lake Malawi tank with Mbunas, or an All-male Peacock tank. Or a Tanganyikan Tank.

Some of my favourite malawi cichlids are Yellow Labs, Demasoni, Red Zebras, Ice Blue Zebras and Rusty Cichlids. You'll have to talk to someone else regarding compatibility and stocking as I'm far from knowledgeable regarding africans.

Alternatively, Rainbowfish thrive in high pH and these would work great if you want to do a planted tank. Have a look at Boesemani Rainbows, Red Rainbows and Turquoise Rainbows. They are all schooling fish and get to 4-6" so a couple of schools would look great.

0 Not allowed!
    Start with a proper water reading. Let some tap water sit for 24 hours and tell us the ph as well as the Gh.

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Rainbows and there are so many these day's to choose from.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Of course, right after I buy the tank I find termites in the room I was going to put the tank. The check book is taking a hit. I did order the filter today. The tank will be some kind of fresh water tank so I went with the Eheim 2078.

As for the water, the ph is 8.8 though dh came out at 3 softer than I thought it'd be.

I've kept plenty of African cichlids in the past and would like to try some thing new. Rainbows are a good idea. Still tossing the idea around for South American fish.