· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got my new skimmer

0 Not allowed!
    I am going to start off by stating, this is the Binford 9000 of skimmers

I just got the CSC450 skimmer that I ordered. It’s a Skimz SK251 with two Sicci PK1200 pumps.

First impressions are that this skimmer is amazingly quiet. Actually a lot quieter than my Skimz SK181. I kept checking the skimmer to see if it was still running.

I really was not impressed with how the skimmer was practically fully assembled before shipping as the pumps came loose from the base and a back plate from one of the pumps actually fell off due to the movement, but there certainly was a lot of good packaging used so nothing was damaged. I just think this skimmer should not be shipped partly assembled.

It’s only been running a hour now and there is stuff starting to get into the skimmer cup. It sure does make a lot of finer bubbles which is a very good sign.

I’ll up-date this thread as I continue to use the skimmer

The skimmer just fits into my sump. I will need to play around with the adjustments and water depth for the next week or so to get it really tuned into my set-up

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    ooooOOOOOOoooo
    ahhhhHHHHhhhhhh

Its good to hear they are finally making them quieter. The second reason I got rid of mine was the noise.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, I know what you mean.

I'm starting to save up for a CSC150 or 200 for my 120 gallon tank now.

The only thing I don't like about this skimmer right now is that it really is a sensitive skimmer. I am having a little bit of difficulty getting it adjusted correctly. Either I get no foam in the cup or it fills up in a hour. I'm going to try raising the stand it sits on so the skimmer is not sitting in as much water. Right now it is in 10 inches of water, which is the max level. I'm not all to worried about it right now as I'm sure this skimmer will need a day or two more to break in
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    looks like a beauty! keep us posted on how well it performs when it gets dialed-in.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I think I under estimated how much of a PITA breaking in a skimmer with two pumps could be

I raised the skimmer a inch so now it is in 8 1/4 inches of water and fully opened up the the gate valve and air valves. Its starting to work a little better now so I'm guessing it will need another 3 or 4 days to break in (based only on the progress in the past 24 hours)

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I got some feedback from two other hobbyists with the same skimmer and found out I was trying to run this skimmer in too much water. I lowered the water level by about 1 inch. After 24 hours of running it at this new depth all I can say is: Aye Carumba. The gate valve is completely open and the air intake is only restricted by ~25%.

It’s not even broken in yet and I’m getting a good amount of crud. Also, you have to keep in mind, that skimmer cup holds almost a gallon of water. It not even broken in yet !!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what this skimmer can really do

0 Not allowed!
    This skimmer seams to be breaking in slowly, but working a little bit better every day

I have the gate value about 80% open and the air valves between 80 and 90% open. Getting some dark liquid skimmate. As I have it sitting in about 8.5 inches of water, I’m thinking I might reduce the water level to about 7.5 inches to see if I can get even thinker/darker skimmate without having to restrict the airflow or slowing down the water flow through the skimmer.

The below pic is after emptying the cup about 24 hours ago

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    quite the beast.

0 Not allowed!
    It's a little hard to tell from the pics, but the skimmer seams to be working a little better. I'm getting darker colored skimmate and a lot more or it. There was also a lot of "gunk" in the cup when I cleaned it out tonight. I'm guessing it's really close to being broken in now. The below pic is about 24 to 36 hours of skimming. After another week, I will raise the skimmer so it is in about 6.5 inches to thicken the skimate. I still have not adjusted the gate valve or air valves yet

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome looking skimmer. Your pictures kind of remind me of the days we used to cram a 350 small block into a Vega. lol

I like the Maple Leaf on the lid. Your doing or did it come like that?

I need to find me some egg crate, I have mine sitting on Tupperware.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast