· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 12 Gallon Mini Dutch Aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    I started my 12 Gallon Long as an Iwagumi setup, because I loved the simplicity and elegance of the aquascape. I had my CRS and fire red culls thrown in the tank and not my quality SSS because I was going to dose the tank with fertilizer.

Here are several shots of the tank as it grew in.

January 2013

February 2013

March 2013

April 2013

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    However through the course of scaping my 12 Gallon I couldn't resist buying a new plant on a weekly basis.

I started IE Dosing along with my Seachem Products and my plants were growing uncontrollably. It kinda looked like a messy jungle and no longer had the clean look of an Iwagumi tank.

So I had the itch a month ago to go full dutch on the tank. Which suits my plant purchasing style. =)

Here's a quick run down of my setup.

Hardware:
    12 Gallon Long - Mr. Aqua
    Oddysea T5HO - 39W light - 1x6700 bulb and 10K bulb
    EHeim 2213 Canister with DIY spray bar that extends the length of the tank, to avoid dead spots.
    2 xDIY CO2 (Don't judge me, it works great for me ) with a the line feeding into a drill holed in the output pipe. Works like a reactor since the spray bar is so long it gives the CO2 time to mix with the water.
    Hydro in line Heater

The dimensions of the 12 gallon long are 35.4L x 8.3W x 9.4H, which small and not ideal for a dutch aquarium. Which is probably why after going through over 70 pages of the 12 Gallon long club I didnt see one single attempt at a 12G dutch.

However there are so many mini versions of plants around I figure it would just take a bit of research to find the right plants to create the same illusion of a 125G dutch aquarium (I enjoyed this part)

I had my work cut out for me since Dutch Aquariums require so many plants to give it that full and lush look. So in the pass 2 months I've been buying plants from every where and everyone.

Local auctions, Aquabid, TPT, ebay, craigslist, even Viet Wah (which is a local asian grocery store).

Two months later here's my species list:
    Alternanthera reineckii mini
    Ammania Gracilis
    Anubias nana
    Bacopa
    Blyxa
    Cabomba
    Cardamine
    Chain swords
    Crypt wendtii
    Dwarf Sag
    Downoi
    Elatine Trianda
    Eriocaulon Cinereum
    Fissidens
    Glosso
    guppy grass
    HC - Dwarf Baby Tears
    hornwort
    Hydrocotyle SP Japan
    Hydrocotyle Verticillata
    Java fern
    Lace Java Fern
    ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'pantanal'
    Limnophila Aromatica wavy
    Loebalia Cardinalis Dwarf
    Ludwigia Acruata x repens
    Ludwigia sp Red
    ludwigia senegalensis
    Marsilea Minutia
    Micranthium Umbrosum
    Micro Swords
    Mosses[censored]
    Needle Leaf Ludwigia
    Pellia
    Pennywort
    ranunculus inundatus
    Riccia
    Rotala Indica
    Rotala Indica True - Ammania Bonsai
    Rotala Wallichii
    Star Grass
    Staurogyne repens
    Subwasertang
    SYNGONANTHUS SP. 'BELEM'
    Tiger Lilly
    Trident Java fern
    Utricularia graminifolia
    Water Wysteria

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Layout:

Here's what made it into the tank.
    1. Rotala Indica - rotundifolia
    2. Ammania Gracilis
    3. Crypt wendtii
    4. Loebalia Cardinalis Dwarf
    5. Bacopa
    6. Downoi
    7. Blyxa
    8. ludwigia senegalensis
    9. Alternanthera reineckii mini
    10. Staurogyne repens
    11. Hydrocotyle SP Japan
    12. Hydrocotyle Verticillata under 11
    13. SYNGONANTHUS SP. 'BELEM'
    14. HC - Dwarf Baby Tears
    15. Marsilea Minutia
    16. ranunculus inundatus
    17. Ludwigia sp Red
    18. Rotala Wallichii
    19. Tiger Lilly
    20. Limnophila Aromatica wavy
    21. ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'pantanal'
    22. Eriocaulon Cinereum
    23. Rotala Indica True - Ammania Bonsai
    24. Ludwigia Acruata x repens

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank Shots

Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Lovely shape for a tank! Err... what's Dutch about it?

0 Not allowed!
    Dutch style is a style of aquascape. It when the plants are planted in tight groups of there own kind in well defined and manicured areas.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely gorgeous.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is a really nice tank and its given me some ideas about what new plants i want to put into my set up.
    What Temp is your tank at?

Awards Showcase

because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice tank, you made me realise what can be done with a smaller tank.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    By the way a school of Green Neons would look great in there.

Last edited by steeler58; 06-30-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep