· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    PH from the tap was 7.6, highest reading on the test...what does this mean?

eta: I don't have a "hardness" test..but I have the option of using water from the softener or not.
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, well you have slightly alkaline water, although almost neutral - so that's not too bad. I'm guessing you have hard water if you have a softener though. Using soft water would be the way to go if you want shrimp (they don't do well in hard water).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    That's good to know. Our water is definitely hard. Shrimp are cool but they're not a necessity as I'm considering Cory's too, how would they be with my water? I'll take other "clean up crew" suggestions as well :).
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    What's the footprint size of the tank? Cories like a school so I'd only be confident suggesting pygmy cories for a 10 gal. Peppered cories are very hardy too but the females can be quite "rotund".
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    It's a standard 10 gallon and yes I'd get dwarf/pygmy types. I also want a school of micro fish, was thinking rasboras brigittae, Boraras maculatus, Microrasbora erythromicron (Emerald Dwarf) or, if I can get my hands on them, Galaxy Rasbora (or Celestial Pearl Danio, seems they can't decide what these fish are). It depends what my LYS has in stock when I can finally get fish. I'm hoping I'll be able to accommodate a group of at least 10.
    Last edited by 1Sarah; 07-06-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    Don't poke the crazy

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have two 5 gallon tanks. One has boraras brigittae (Chilis) with habrosus cories and a couple of Galaxy rasboras and the other has boraras urophthalmoides with Red Cherry shrimp. I think you'll be happy whichever you choose - shrimp or cories. Both are lively inhabitants in my tanks. Maybe you can fit both in a 10 gallon?

My experience with the Galaxy Rasboras (CPD), however, has been that they are really shy and they stay near the bottom along with my cories. It's a moderately planted tank and I never see them. That is why I added the Chilis to this tank to get some movement at the top. Others may a different experience with the CPD's.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, that's really helpful as I don't want fish that hide all the time. I guess the galaxies can be pretty hard to get as they're really popular. I like the brightness of the Chili's, and Emeralds are gorgeous too. I think if I was to get RCS I'd be more after the Emeralds, but if I get Cory's then I'll be after the Chili's :).
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Added some new plants and new lights to my tank! Lights are 15 watt Life-Glo compact fluorescents and wow what a difference! The tank is so bright and they're "daylight" so it looks so clear. I'll add a picture when I can find my stupid phone. Plants are red crypt and saggitarium...? Something like that, they're supposed to be low light plants so hopefully they'll do well. They're planted into the silica so hoping they'll root ok.
    Don't poke the crazy

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like to suggest a sparkling gourami. They're only a bit over an inch long at full size, and are beautiful little gemstone fish. They're peaceful, won't outcompete anything, and are fun to watch! They can be sort of shy at first, but they calm down after a week or so and become bold little things that are great fun to watch.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I'll definitely consider those. LYS had some super cute baby gourami's in today, honey's and others I can't remember. I've never had much luck with gourami's in the past but maybe this time will be different if I get one. Either that or a betta, jury's still out on that decision.

Wondering about Kuhli loaches? AqAdvisor says 5 would be good in a 10g but of course I wan to know the input of all you intelligent folks.
    Don't poke the crazy