· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and they didn't have Venezuelan Cories, didn't really know what they were there hence the Pygmies.
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, so sorry about the Rasboras...I had to go back and read what filter you were using...I have an AC30 on my 10 gallon, and modified the pick up tube a bit because it was sucking up my shrimp...I cut the slotted end off, put a cork in the open end, and drilled a bunch of small holes in the tube for water to flow through...works just fine...also, I keep the water flow turned down to about 50%, and it is still more than adequate flow

I did this after trying the nylon stocking trick, because the stocking got clogged up after only a few days with debris and mulm

Tank looks great, fishies will get used to their new home in no time...be sure to keep checking your water daily for awhile...congrats, you've done a great job!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slap. I feel really bad for the little guys, that I didn't think of the possibility. I figured they'd know better once they started feeling a pulling and swim away but I guess small fish means really small brains huh? The kids (8 and 10) were pretty sad. I'm not crazy about the stocking over the intake either (it's ugly), so I'm going to check and see if they have an alternative at the store. If not I might do something along the lines of what you've done.

I've already been obsessively checking the water. I was worried because I figured only sick fish will get sucked up in the tube as healthy ones would know better, but since it was 3 in such a short time it must have just been their size. Params have remained perfect.
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, with this hobby you live and you learn...we ALL will suffer some fish loss at one time or another, regardless of how well we try to protect and care for them...

I will try to find the pic of the DIY I did to the filter tube and post it here....and do keep an eye on that nylon for dirt build-up, and keep an eye on your water flow if it does start to get clogged

0 Not allowed!
    Here it is...not pretty, but effective so far...Be careful drilling the holes, the tube will try to roll around...I trapped it between 2 pieces of wood, with a piece of wood underneath, to prevent this

You could make the holes even smaller if you want...there will be bits of plastic clinging to the holes you make, a piece of sandpaper or a file will take them right off

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no problem, my handy hubby would be doing any drilling (yeah..I know, that's what she said...)
    Don't poke the crazy

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Fluval makes a prefilter sponge for pretty cheap. I picked one up because I was worried about my betta getting his fins caught in the strainer for my filter. :) It's black, so it's not an eyesore in the tank.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1387-Fl...val+pre+filter

Here you go. These work OK as long as the filter is not too strong. I've found on my AC50, it will tend to "hourglass" in after a while, but it is great on the AC20. The sponge is finer, softer than it should be. I use a larger coarser sponge prefilter on the AC50 in a larger tank but it would be too large in a 10 gallon. Like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21426

You can also just take one of the AC20 sponge replacements and cut a hole through the end into the middle of the sponge and use that. This isn't pretty, but very effective.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the 3 little ones. The fish look great and I love your rockwork.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    The fish look great and I love your rockwork.
    +1. Love the aquascaping!

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast