· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Going to start Cycling my tank and wanted to be sure of one thing

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so throughout the process I do not so a water change until the Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and NitrItes are high, then water change until NitrAtes are under 20ppm, correct?

0 Not allowed!
    Correct!

Congrats and welcome to the hobby.... you were warned how addicting it can be though...

For this part it will require a lot of patience.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    .....until the Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and NitrItes are high....
    'trates will be high....Hardy85 is correct, patience is key during cycling....it WILL get cycled, but it takes time
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. How much ammonia should I add at the beginning for a 20 gallon tank?

0 Not allowed!
    i did a few drops, wait a few mins, and test with ammonia kit.

Keep doing the till you get the desired amount. I think in my 10g it was like 1ml or so (but thats just a guess)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by overkil2 View Post
    Thank you. How much ammonia should I add at the beginning for a 20 gallon tank?
    It's been mentioned about 2ppm - believe I've seen some go as high as 4. Keep in mind that only enough BB will grow to handle what you give it. So not enough ammonia and your cycle completes and then you go and throw in a dozen fish you could see some issues.

It will take some time to complete the cycle, however once complete a little ammonia (.5ppm) will be converted in a short amount of time.

Welcome aboard. As others have commented, patience.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought some ammonia at publix. Will this work?

It is called Clean Ammonia

ingredients are Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactant.

If not, then where can I get it and what brand?

Thanks in advance

0 Not allowed!
    Don't use that ammonia, you want ammonia without surfactant, this is very important. Hubby got mine at Walmart I believe, Goldex is the brand.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt that will work. The surfactant on the list is what will be toxic in the aquarium.

I bought a bottle of ammonia at Ace Hardware. It's an in-house brand, labeled as "janitorial strength".
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. I'm so glad you responded before I did something foolish.