· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Grey Algae starting to infest my tank any ideas on how to slow it down?

0 Not allowed!
    There is something in the local water I think that causes grey algae because even my LFS have it in their FW tanks and I even had it in my old lowlight cichlid tanks. It's become really prevalent where I put a 15w sidelight for extra light under all my lily pads. I have 36w of t-5 on top all my lights are 6700k and this stuff was always in the tank now just more so. I'm using a micro macro fert mix and I cut that in half since the algae bloom which seems to have slowed it down a bit; I still put in 3ml of co2 a day but I don't think that matters.

I've removed some plants that got overwhelmed by it but trying to get it off my other plants and driftwood will just spread it around more I think. Any ideas? It's starting to cover my java fern which really sucks because it's a really big healthy one.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cut down an hour or so off your photo period. You can also start treating sections of the algae by turning off water movement and spot treating with hydrogen peroxide, let it sit for 5-10 minutes then restart water flow and turn on lights so the peroxide breaks down to oxygen and water. Also, if you have had your bulbs for over a year you might want to replace them... its said they start to lose their wavelength after a year and algae does start to grow better because of it.
    31 Gallon Hagen Waterhome with 2 x 20W T8 6700K Life Glo tubes, Fluval 205 canister filter, Aquaclear 200W and Marineland Stealth 150W heaters, Hydor Hydrokable 50W substrate heating cable with Hydrostat thermostat, Hydor Ario 2 Blue aeration night light. Compressed CO2. Very Heavily Planted.

58 Gallon Hagen Light-Glo/Waterhome with 2x40W T8, 2x Fluval 404/405 canisters filters, Ebo-Jager 250W Heater, Marineland Stealth Pro 300W heater. Compressed CO2. Moderately planted.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I lowered my light timer to 10 hours from 12 my lights are maybe 5 months old so I don't think that is the issue. I've never heard of using hydrogen peroxide like that will I have to remove my fish while doing it?
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.