· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    If I might offer a suggestion - guppies also enjoy the top of the tank. You could get a bunch of males.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Found the last remaining LFS in the area. They consistently carry Gold Pristella Tetras and Black Neon Tetras. So, my original plan is back in action. Second filter with additional media is in place and running. Water temp is hanging in there at around 80 degrees F. Still just adding fish food to create ammonia and the level isn't budging above .50. Going to wait 48 hours and test again so the food I've added over the past 6 days has more time to rot. Hopefully the cycle will begin in the next couple of weeks.

The Mom-in-Law wants to add a gold fish cracker because she's impatient. ;)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderbite View Post
    Found the last remaining LFS in the area. They consistently carry Gold Pristella Tetras and Black Neon Tetras. So, my original plan is back in action. Second filter with additional media is in place and running. Water temp is hanging in there at around 80 degrees F. Still just adding fish food to create ammonia and the level isn't budging above .50. Going to wait 48 hours and test again so the food I've added over the past 6 days has more time to rot. Hopefully the cycle will begin in the next couple of weeks.

The Mom-in-Law wants to add a gold fish cracker because she's impatient. ;)
    May I ask why you are using fish food to cycle? With an ammonia level like that you aren't going to cycle very fast - .5ppm isn't very high to do a fishless cycle. Many people use pure ammonia which is faster because you can spike the ammonia right away.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    May I ask why you are using fish food to cycle? With an ammonia level like that you aren't going to cycle very fast - .5ppm isn't very high to do a fishless cycle. Many people use pure ammonia which is faster because you can spike the ammonia right away.
    I've been trying to track down some ammonia but just haven't been by the hardware store yet. So I've been seeding it in the meantime.

The gf is very sensitive to strong smells so she has objected to ammonia and a shrimp drop. But she is out of town so perhaps I'll drop by Home Depot today and get spiking. :)
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

0 Not allowed!
    The thing with ammonia from what I've read from others who have used it is that it actually takes very little to get the reading you need - some people use a capful or measure it by 1/4 or 1/2 t or even a dropper if the tank is small enough - until you get the reading you need - it won't really smell because there's nothing rotting to produce it - many people try Ace Hardware, a dollar store, etc. (pure janitorial strength ammonia) - just make sure if you get a bottle to shake it first - if it foams up like there's soap in it don't buy it - it should shake like there's water in the bottle.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got ammonia yesterday and was able to get it up to 2ppi immediately. Added same dose this morning and will test when I get home from work to see if I hit 4ppi.

No problem with smell. Transferred some to a small bottle and using a dropper so no stink at all.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    4ppi ammonia reading this morning. Now I'll just let it sit a couple days and test again to see if its decreasing any and if nitrites are showing up yet.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderbite View Post
    I have a 36 gallon Tall tank cycling right now and want to go with Tetras and perhaps some danios (for the top swimmers). However, where the tank resides in the house, the AC keeps the tank at a solid 70 degrees F. Will my tetras adapt or should I put a heater in? All the specs I've read suggest 75 degree + for most tetras.
    It is a misconception that Tetras require a heater. Many do not. Black Skirt and White Skirt Tetras are pretty hardy and will do well in temps from 68 to 79 degrees. Likewise, Neon Tetras do well in 68 to 74 degree water, and Neons are more docile so they are better for a community tank setting. The Bloodfin Tetra does well in 64 - 85 degrees. There are plenty of fish that fit your needs. Google "Caring for..." and the name of the Tetra your are interested in and you will find many sites that will give you the water temp parameters for each fish. Just make sure they are compatible with the Danios, White Clouds, or other cold water fish you may select. Good luck.
    Last edited by Sportsnerd; 07-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Two weeks in to the cycling process which technically hasn't started yet and no change in ammonia. Just replaced the 2 50w heaters w/ a 200w and the temp has been holding at 84 degrees.

Hoping patience is my only challenge at this point. :P

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ordered an active filter from Angels Plus to get things rolling a little faster. Should have it by Wednesday. :)