· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Post Wanting to become a betta breeder!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I've always loved bettas and I want to become a breeder. I know the specifics of actually breeding them, so i dont need that info, just tips on how to get started and start producing really pretty fish! Where to get a decent breeding pair(the ones at my local petstore just arent pretty enough for me) and should i do different types??? Help would be wonderful!!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Knowing where you are located would be beneficial

if you near their area of being 'natural' then go find a pond and search for them.

if you are 9000miles away from that, then we'll have to explore your local area/fish forums to breeders in your area.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I live in the middle of the West Virginia... in a very small town you probably wouldn't even know the name of. So I plan on ordering the fish, if thats acceptable. Our local pet store, and even the one an hour away, neither have very attractive fish, and most of them are very sickly...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown101 View Post
    I've always loved bettas and I want to become a breeder. I know the specifics of actually breeding them, so i dont need that info, just tips on how to get started and start producing really pretty fish! Where to get a decent breeding pair(the ones at my local petstore just arent pretty enough for me) and should i do different types??? Help would be wonderful!!!!
    Also wanting to do a divided tank set up with 10 gallons. How many sections would you have in the divided tank, 2 or 3?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you are going to divide your 10 gallon tank for bettas, two sections is recommended as each betta needs at least 5 gallons of space and make sure the divider is not a clear one so that the bettas do not exhaust themselves trying to fight.

Breeding bettas is not as simple as it seems from merely reading up on how to breed them. You have to make sure that you have room for potentially 500 betta fry that could result from a single spawning, not to mention you will have to find homes for each of those individual bettas as most LFS will only buy from overseas or reputable breeders.

I myself have a wicked rare male betta and am about to adopt another rare imported betta (female) but I wouldn't dare try breeding them! I wouldn't know where to begin trying to make space in my tiny apartment for all those fish and then trying to find 500 homes for them...

EDIT: Wasn't sure they could produce 500 eggs, but yes they can...
    Last edited by koaladarshana; 06-19-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I would check aquabid. Breeders are sold there very commonly. Also there is a very thurough 15 or so video on step by step with raising fry, containers to breed the betta... all that.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Agree on finding a breeder online but often it isn't good to use a divider, either. Males can not be allowed to see one another or it keeps them stressed out and even separating different sexes can be troublesome as they will try to get to each other over the divider.

You will need a whole lot of tanks because every male needs to be kept separate from the other fish. I would get 5 gallon tanks for the males and use 10 gallon tanks for the females that can be together.

They need to bring in enough money to warrant all the extra equipment, tanks, filters, heaters, etc, that will need to be purchased, as well. Once that stuff is all purchased, then you have some free and clear money. You also need to find dealers who will buy your Betta's. No point in breeding them if you can't sell them, either.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!

Here is that first video in the series on breeding betta.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's