· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I'd want to have a larger tank for any sort of betta-something combination. If you can't do that, make sure to add some loose clumps of Java moss and a nice big clump of Java fern, both to help with clean water and as hiding places.
    I'd keep the tank at something like 76, as that'd work pretty well for both of them. I know my female bettas live in a tank that hovers around that temperature most of the time, and they always look like pretty happy little things.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since this is related to the thread I was going to start I decided to post here instead of starting a new one.

I have six female bettas that should be arriving next week I was wondering if

5 or 6 Neons
    3 Amano Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snail
    or more

I have a heavily artifically planted 20 Gallon long with 350gph filter.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Betta should be female betta if you are making a community tank. The issue is less making it safe for your betta and more keeping fish that wont be threatened or bullied by your bettas. Bettas are carnivore not omnivore. They only eat fish. They also like to dominate. I have my bettas in with fish that are their size or larger it's like having a Bull mastiff dog and a yappie little poodle that thinks he's a wolf. The mastiff is too big to care. The betta will also bully each other if you have too few of them. recommended i've seen three to five. I only have two and they seem ok together. They chase each other sometimes but they don't actually hurt each other (nip fins) so I think they're playing, either way not dangerous.

here's a link for a chart that shows general compatibility. I found it fun to play with. You can also google aquaria fish compatibility chart. There are many charts out there.

http://freshsaltwaterfish.com/fish-chart-saltwater/
    Last edited by Ms. Namazu; 07-12-2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: spelling error :/ yep that ocd

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Ms. Namazu, he did mention that it's a sorority tank with female bettas, and enough of them to spread out the aggression.

Kuroshiro, that stocking looks okay to me. I'm not as sure about the shrimp, I know bettas will sometimes see them as a food source, but if there's enough decorations then they should be okay. Just be sure to add the bettas in last!
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    Ms. Namazu, he did mention that it's a sorority tank with female bettas, and enough of them to spread out the aggression.
    apologies, I did not read through the entire thread. My response was to unknown101 who began the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown101 View Post
    Hi! I am rather new to fish keeping, I've recently set up a fish tank(done lots of research on how to do it properly and everything!!!) and the one thing I know for sure is that I want to have a betta in there! But I know they aren't always the nicest fish, so I would like to know what I can put in there with them that will look attractive, but not be a threat to the betta! Thanks!!! (BTW the betta is male if that has anything to do with anything!)

Fish I am interested in:
    Guppies
    Neon or Cardinal Tetras
    and Ghost Shrimp
    Last edited by Ms. Namazu; 07-12-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add'l quote