· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Betta fish Community tank ideas!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi! I am rather new to fish keeping, I've recently set up a fish tank(done lots of research on how to do it properly and everything!!!) and the one thing I know for sure is that I want to have a betta in there! But I know they aren't always the nicest fish, so I would like to know what I can put in there with them that will look attractive, but not be a threat to the betta! Thanks!!! (BTW the betta is male if that has anything to do with anything!)

Fish I am interested in:
    Guppies
    Neon or Cardinal Tetras
    and Ghost Shrimp
    Last edited by Unknown101; 06-19-2013 at 05:00 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what size tank is this?

what filtration do you have?
    what heater do you have?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    10 gallon,
    not sure on the filter brand anymore, but I know it works and it is for a 10 gallon tank
    not sure of the heater brand either
    all of these were given to me by a friend so they have been used before.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do not add guppies into a betta tank. That won't work by any means. The neons, however, might. If you keep 6 small ones you might be able to squeeze in a betta but only if you stay on top of your water changes as that would be a very tightly stocked tank. Also, bettas are have very unique personalities so keep in mind that you might have to return either the neons or the betta if the setup doesn't work out.

The general rule for filtration (especially if you want to fully stock the tank) is to use a filter rated for at least double the capacity of your tank. EX: Aquaclear 20 for a 10 gallon tank would be ideal, Aquaclear 30 would be even better... you get the idea.

Make sure that the heater you are using is adjustable and not pre-set because your betta and neons together will be most comfortable at 80 f whereas most pre-set heaters will only heat the water to 78 f.

The last thing I would add is that although bettas and neons are generally thought of as "begginer fish" combining the two in a tank and making it work is not necessarily the easiest thing to do. If this is your first tank, I would encourage you to choose one or the other for this setup thus giving you a better chance of success.

Default Betta fish Community tank ideas!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Neons are actually a cooler water fish - 80 is quite warm for them.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Neons are actually a cooler water fish - 80 is quite warm for them.
    Didn't know this. Hmph. I was actually just going off this: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tetrafish/neontetra.php

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I see! Only the celsius temperature range is accurate. Someone needs to fix the fahrenheit though...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by koaladarshana View Post
    Oh, I see! Only the celsius temperature range is accurate. Someone needs to fix the fahrenheit though...
    it's a degree difference on the F. My point is that it is not necessary to keep fish at the top of their temp range, nor do I think that they are most comfortable there. The information that you are referencing is not wrong - most sources say 68-78 (80) is their temp range. I just don't know how that translates to 80 being most comfortable for them is all.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    it's a degree difference on the F. My point is that it is not necessary to keep fish at the top of their temp range, nor do I think that they are most comfortable there. The information that you are referencing is not wrong - most sources say 68-78 (80) is their temp range. I just don't know how that translates to 80 being most comfortable for them is all.
    If I had to put neon tetras in with a betta, I would keep them at 80 f so as to make them both feel most comfortable. Surely the neons prefer 76 f or so but that would conflict with the betta.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by koaladarshana View Post
    If I had to put neon tetras in with a betta, I would keep them at 80 f so as to make them both feel most comfortable. Surely the neons prefer 76 f or so but that would conflict with the betta.
    If you feel that the neons would prefer 76, then I don't understand how you can say that keeping them at 80 makes them most comfortable. Bettas lower temp range is 75 by most sources, 72 by some. Why is it okay to keep the neons at a temp extreme in order to accommodate the betta? Why not keep the betta at a temp lower in it's preferred range in order to accommodate the neons?

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10