· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I would say get the aquarium at petsmart, they are having a $2/gallon for the tank light and lid sale. Overall that is a good fair price. Build your own stand, or check for one on craiglist to save a few $$

and then order the other supplies online

0 Not allowed!
    Here are some of the products I'd recommend

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...er-filter.html

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...le-heater.html

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...-test-kit.html

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...hem-prime.html

Depending on what you want to do for decorations, pool filter sand is a cheap alternative to "aquarium" sand. Driftwood can be found most places (few ways to make it aquarium safe) same with nice rocks

I think those supplies along with a 20g High tank, lid, light, and thermometer as well as a jug of ammonia to cycle the tank with (dollar tree). Would put you well on your way to a happy healthy tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Hardy85. Makes things a bit easier. This can be a bit overwhelming with all the options available.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I felt bad, felt like I just kinda brain puked on your thread. Those are all the products I use in my own tanks. And I like to brag about trying to do everything as cheap as possible.

Have you thought about the look you want to go for? Planted tank, fake plants, or other types of decorations

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another thing to remember if you plan on getting a bigger tank in a few months, make sure the fish you get for the smaller tank are something you would want to move over to the bigger tank (unless you want to keep both running.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    Another thing to remember if you plan on getting a bigger tank in a few months, make sure the fish you get for the smaller tank are something you would want to move over to the bigger tank (unless you want to keep both running.
    But make sure those fish can live comfortably their entire lives in the small tank if need be, a lot of times thats how you end up seeing oscars in a 30g tank. But I also agree that if you don't want to keep both running, make sure the fish you will want in the larger tank can live with these smaller guys

Unless of course you are like me and the MTS bug takes over

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Sorry, I felt bad, felt like I just kinda brain puked on your thread. Those are all the products I use in my own tanks. And I like to brag about trying to do everything as cheap as possible.

Have you thought about the look you want to go for? Planted tank, fake plants, or other types of decorations
    I'm not sure about plants or decorations yet. How difficult would it be to have a few real plants ?

0 Not allowed!
    Since you are just starting I'd say pretty easy.

You could get a plant friendly substrate, and try to get a light that uses typical screw in bulbs, you then can replace the bulbs that come with it with cfl bulbs.

There are plenty of low/medium light plants out there. Maybe use a few root tabs and if you want to you can go from there... I warn you. its addicting

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, I may get a bigger tank. I saw a decently priced stand that can fit a 29 GAL tank, or maybe I'll spend a little more for one that holds a 55 gal tank. My only concern would be moving the tank over to the new house once it is ready. :(

0 Not allowed!
    :)

To tell you my honest opinion. I love my 55, but 75 is where it is at. Moving a tank isn't too bad.

Remove the fish (into tote, buckets, or bags), empty the tank, keep filters wet. Move tank to new place, set up. Acclimate fish just like you bought them new

If you can, look into "breeder" tanks, they also offer a nice foot print that allows more room to decorate etc. Thats my only complaint about the 55, its long and skinny