· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default New and need some advice on tank size and which fish to populate it with.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone. I got bitten by the aquarium bug and am looking for some guidance. I've read the sticky on fishless cycling and will probably start that in the next few days. I'm purchasing Prime and the API Freshwater Master kit. Tonight I am heading to purchase a tank and this is where I need the guidance.

We are moving into a new home in 2-3 months and I will be able to get a bigger tank(55-75 gal), but in the meantime, I'd only have about 24"L x 14"W to play around with. After some research, I saw that I could get either a 20 tall, 20 normal, or 25 gal. a 10 gal will obviously fit there as well, Any recommendations?

I figure that once we move, I can either use the smaller tank as a QT or breeding tank, or maybe let me son keep it in his room.

So, any suggestions on tank size and fish?

I'd really like some colorful fish.

Any suggestions on a filter and heater?

Thank you so much in advance.

0 Not allowed!
    The usual advice is to get the largest tank you can afford and have space for - this is to help you maintain good water parameters. As for a larger tank, you have many stocking options - community tank, cichlids, etc. Along with your tank purchase, make sure to get enough filtration for double the tank size - hence, a 75 gal would need enough filtration for a 150gal tank.

Getting another tank for either QT or for your son - you will need to decide which you want to use the tank for. A QT doesn't need to be cycled - you would need to cycle a filter for it and keep it in your main tank all the time, transferring it over for use (like for new fish or a sick fish) - I recommend a 10 or 20 gal for that.

As for brands, I am familiar with Fluval (for a filter that is) and Eheim - dont' know about heater brands (reliability-wise).
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been thinking about pupulating the tank with the following:

- 1 dwarf gourami
    - either Neon Tetras or cardinal tetras(what would be a good number?)
    - Celestial pearl Danios
    - Harlequin Rasbora

Would those be able to coexist and thrive?

0 Not allowed!
    I would say do a 20g long. They are great tank sizes that you can do a lot with. I'd recommend only 2 of those species. Many people will agree that larger numbers of the same fish looks better than a bunch mixed. So I'd say 1 dwarf gourami and like 10-15 of the ones that are you're favorite.

Neons and Cardinals can be a little fragile, kinda picky about water quality, just something to think about
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hardy85, What would you choose to go along with the Gourami then?

0 Not allowed!
    CPD with a gourami is a bit of a gamble. It usually works. Also they'd be awfully small with the rest. I'd say start with 6 neons and 6 harlequins and leave it at that for at least a month.

Gourami, neons and harlequins will appreciate softer water with a bit of leaf litter on the bottom of the tank and some plants. Harlequins are tough fish but get it right for them and they'll not only live but also look good.

A 20 high offers volume but not much swimming space, a normal or a long will give your fish more room.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    CPD with a gourami is a bit of a gamble. It usually works. Also they'd be awfully small with the rest. I'd say start with 6 neons and 6 harlequins and leave it at that for at least a month.

Gourami, neons and harlequins will appreciate softer water with a bit of leaf litter on the bottom of the tank and some plants. Harlequins are tough fish but get it right for them and they'll not only live but also look good.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8...06c8717914.jpg

A 20 high offers volume but not much swimming space, a normal or a long will give your fish more room.
    Thank you. I only have 24 inches in length to play with, so maybe a 15 regular or 20H? I wish I could find the extra 6 inches to get the 20L.

0 Not allowed!
    If those are your main choices go for the 20. I ge the impression this is your first tank. A 20 is enough water that keeping it stable is relatively easy and it's small enough to be easily manageable for a beginner.