· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Cleaning super-stubborn dried-on algae?

0 Not allowed!
    I have tried what I can think of, and suggestions thrown at me to clean this algae off of my acrylic tank. (And despite current looks, yes it was algae. I've scrubbed all the color off at this point.)

I've tried scrubbing with wet paper towels (using my nails, the handle of a plastic spoon, and the end of a bamboo skewer to give some stiffness to the paper towel). I've tried scrubbing with vinegar. I've tried scrubbing with H2O2. I've tried leaving vinegar-soaked paper towels on the spots, and then scrubbing. After all of that, it looks like this:

What else can I do?!
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is this an acrylic tank? Sounds like you tried just about everything other than some hardcore chemicals - which I would not advice. How about a razor blade?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be too scared of scratching the tank up even worse than it already is with razor blades.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Lay the tank on it side so the side with the algae is facing down. If you have a bow front tank, your might need to wedge some towels under it to keep it stables. Soak a paper towel in pure vinegar and place the paper towel on the algae spots. Keep the paper towel on the spot for at least 24 hours and do not let it dry out. That has always worked for me to remove even tougher Coraline (marine algae) from both acrylic and glass.

Acrylic is easy to scratch so I would not suggest scrubbing the tank at all
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I was scrubbing with paper towels, to reduce chance of scratches. However, some of the stuff really needed some elbow grease to come off.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Paper towels have a grit reading of about 1500, scrub enough and they scratch. On several black automobiles I have painted they were buffed out to 4500 grit, if you dried the car with any type of paper towel it looked horrid. A cotton terry cloth has a grit rating of around 2500 to 3000 on average, try using those. 3000 is pretty well buffed, try using some non toxic acrylic aquarium polish if they remain stubborn.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    I was scrubbing with paper towels, to reduce chance of scratches. However, some of the stuff really needed some elbow grease to come off.
    Yup, I did read that in your first post. Soaking vinegar on the spots for about 24 hours (or more) will remove algae as well as hard water deposits. It's completely different approach which is why I suggested it. Soaking in vinegar always works a lot better than try ti scrub
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]