· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newer Oscar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    DO NOT use table salt. The iodine will kill the fish.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Christmas Present! - Tolley   for the green terrors and their spawning :) - arkie   Congratulations on you pic's award And thanks for the help - Billythefish   for your oscar post..... - angelcakes   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    don't use iodized salt.
    aquarium salt, rock salt, kosher salt, ... are good.
    edit: sorry for repetition. i didn't see gm72 post.
    Last edited by Ocellatus; 10-28-2007 at 10:59 PM.
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know, I discussed other fish with him as well but he stated earlier he may change his mind on the oscars.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For all of the nano-reef help. Thanks - cocoa_pleco   Welcome to the SW club! - Drumachine09   Thanks barb! - Drumachine09   Thank You! - Lady Hobbs   i joined the oscar club! got any tips? lol - cocoa_pleco   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - 2manyfish   Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - 2manyfish   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - 2manyfish   

0 Not allowed!
    The only time I would just put a fish into the tank without acclimation is if the fish is dying in the bag. Otherwise you need to take the time to do this right.

I just use the bag. Open it up, dump half the water down the sink, then use a clip (the kind used for bags of potato chips to close them up/keep them fresh)...I use that clip to hold the bag on the inside of the tanks lip. After 10 minutes I unclip the bag and use a turkey baster* to squirt tank water into the bag. This is repeated every 10 minutes for the next 30 minutes ++ (depending on where I got the fish, and saltwater always get extra time).

You want to do this not only to equalize the water temp but also to get the pH and hardness of the different water closer. If you just dump a fish from one pH to another the fish can get very ill and die. This is especially true going from a higher pH to a lower one.

But what's done is done. About the only thing I can suggest for your new oscar is that you check your water parameters to make sure you don't have any problems going on...and if you see any reading of ammonia, or nitrites or if your nitrates are high, do a water change ASAP.

*A turkey baster can be a very good tool in this hobby but you need to buy it new and use it only for your fish!!
    Freshwater since 1998, saltwater since 2000.
    6 FW tanks, 1 SW tank.

(aka Barb)

This looks just like my BP -->

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    everything is 0 except ammonia which is .5. He is on the gravel. But the guy said if the oscar is still doing this after a few days bring him back and i can get another one. Free.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Did you cycle your tank?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    i put stuff in it every 7 days to cycle it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For all of the nano-reef help. Thanks - cocoa_pleco   Welcome to the SW club! - Drumachine09   Thanks barb! - Drumachine09   Thank You! - Lady Hobbs   i joined the oscar club! got any tips? lol - cocoa_pleco   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - 2manyfish   Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - 2manyfish   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - 2manyfish   

0 Not allowed!
    You need to do a water change. You should have 0 for ammonia...
    6 FW tanks, 1 SW tank.

(aka Barb)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    then that would ruin the start of my cycle. I need ammonia to get nitrite into nitrate.. and by taking water out and ammonia being in water that means my cycle cant get going.,.correct?

Im not positive on this.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So you haven't cycled your tank.

You have three options.

The first is to take the fish back to the LFS and do NOT buy any more fish of any kind until the tank is actually cycled.

The second is to save the fish you have. Which means you MUST do water changes. Doing water changes may prolong the cycle time but it will save the fish you have! The amount of water changed should be around 25%.
    2 weeks - every single day then,
    2 weeks - every other day then,
    2 weeks - 2 times during each week
    Then normal once a week changes.

The third option is to do nothing but your usual once a week changes and add your bacteria starter and hope for the best. Considering where the fish is now, I doubt there will be a good end....(in plain english, option 1 or 2 is doable, option 3 is almost certain death for the fish!)

HTH
    6 FW tanks, 1 SW tank.

(aka Barb)