· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bio cube flaw

1. Default bio cube flaw

0 Not allowed!
    my bio cube is changing in temp everyday my lights are raising the temp at least 2 degrees a day sometimes six!! anybody know how to fix this biocube flaw in a cheap way??? (i dont have the money for a chiller anytime soon)

0 Not allowed!
    What make and model of bio-cube do you have and what type and wattage of lighting ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1- 24 watt true actinic blue 03 straight pin
    1 - 24 watt 10,000k daylight straight pin
    1 - . 75 watt lunar blue led bar
    cooling fans - 50 mm, 8.4 cfm 22 db
    not sure on the make or model number but its a coral life size 14 biocube

0 Not allowed!
    It's not a flawed set-up, just a small set-up. The power compact lighting will product heat, and in some small set-ups like yours, that heat will increase the temp of the water. This can be made even worse if the temp in the room is high. This is one of those examples of how smaller set-ups can have a few more challenges maintaining stable water parameters when compared to larger set-ups

You could either cut back your lighting period each day, or leave the lid open on the tank to allow the hot air to escape. Just a warning tho, if you leave the lid open, you will have to top up for evaporation about twice a day with RO water or you will cause some swings in your salinity which can effect other parameters

Maybe try only using one of the two PC bulbs. See if the fixture will work if you remove one of them. Might be worth a try
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-17-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    There's not a lot you can do bout that. You might be able to modify the tank by swapping in a bigger fan, or make some cut-outs for heat to escape, or convert the hood to LED lighting. maybe google Biocube Mods, a lot of people do modify them, tho I have not heard of modifying for temperature moderation.
    When I was running Mh on my tank, the temp would go up to 81 degrees. I bought a fan and aimed it at the tank which helped a bit, but I still had temp swings, just not as severe. On really hot days you can put in a frozen water bottle...that might work better for you with a small tank than it did for me.

So long as the temp does not go higher than the ranges your specific stock are used to, gradual temp swings of 2-3 degrees aren't really a big deal. The shallower water that your creatures come from, the more accustomed they are to changes in temperature.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the temp swung yesterday up to 86 and killed my firefish. my Cuc is fine though

0 Not allowed!
    You might want to try some of the advice given to you in the above posts to try and avoid losing more fish - limiting lights on or putting in a water bottle sound like easy things to do.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    you should also check and make sure your heater is working properly...perhaps it is not cutting out when it should. Maybe change out the bulb. Crack the lid open to allow heat out if you can't actually take it off.

Does the room get hot as well? I would move the tank to a cooler location.

I wouldn't say your CUC is "fine" at that temperature. They are tolerating/surviving it, but not fine. Another degree could kill them.

In-tank equipment like powerheads can also add heat to the tank. If you have extra powerheads in there maybe you can shut them off at peak heat times.

0 Not allowed!
    I swapped out the standard bulbs in my 24G Cube, running only LED strips now, 4 white, 4 Blue. Everything in the cube has thrived since change over almost a year or so ago. Temperature is steady as well year round. It seems to me the simplest solutions are the best ones and this required no modification as the strips have self adhesive and fit in easily.
    Last edited by Surfdog; 06-22-2013 at 03:38 AM.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i want to do that but im not sure sure how

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast