· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Penguin Tetra

Lightbulb Penguin Tetra

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone have any experience with this species they'd be willing to share?

I'm shortlisting for future stock for a 350litre tank and would plan on keeping a school of something with my cherry barbs (28) but AqAdvisor tells me penguins can be a bit too agressive for the barbs.

Any info appreciated.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Thayeria boehlkei is the one we're talking about? Quite a few years ago. Timid fish, really needs group security. Peaceful unless live foods are dispensed in which case it displays a feeding frenzy that would make a tiger barb blush.

0 Not allowed!
    That's the one. Cheers.

Yes, I was considering a school of 10-15 when I upgrade but I am concerned they may be too boisterous for my rather pathetic and shy cherry barbs. Did you have any aggression or bullying problems with them? Would you keep them with cherry barbs? I'm not rushing into getting anything that I think might not be a good fit with a peaceful community (and I don't even have the tank yet!)

0 Not allowed!
    No issues but I did have a bare minimum group of 5. Some discussion about pecking order but less than I get with my harlequins. In my experience not a boisterous species at all! I don't see why they wouldn't mix with cherry barbs certainly if you stick with what you've shown so far, a tank planted well enough to allow for seperate territories.

I don't think I'd keep this species in an unplanted tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Knowing how you research you've probably visited this site: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...47883778,d.cGE lot's of great information.

The one time I kept them years back, I never noticed any of the fin nipping going on that's mentioned but I did keep them in a group of 10.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I saw that page. Thanks. Interesting that it's really called the False Penguin Tetra. True Penguin Tetras are not half as attractive: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/thayeria-obliqua/

Ok, it's still in the shortlist for me then. I may make a few more trips to the LFS to view some in person. I might change my mind when I see them.

Also on the shortlist (either instead of or in combination) are black neon tetra and rummynose tetra (although their sensitivity and preference for soft, acidic water makes them a less suitable choice for me).

Current earmarked tank is a Juwel Rio 300. I've not decided yet whether or not to cut out the built in filter, or to leave it and use it as a water polisher (packed with filter floss/foam).

0 Not allowed!
    That's a matter of taste. To me true penguins look a lot more interesting because they're so rare in the shops here.

Pretty much all of the South American tetras do best on soft, somewhat acidic water. I've found that in this country quite a few window cleaning companies sell excess RO water to anyone showing up with some 25 liter jugs and for next to nothing 2-5 euros for 100 liters. Mixing part ro water and some leaf litter or alder cones will do a lot for species like this.

Performing a filterectomy is up to you. They do work well but are a bit of an eyesore. An eheim 2217 or a tetra ex1200 would work well for this tank. I take it you're familiar with http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/f...nister_filters ?

0 Not allowed!
    I've read a few accounts that captive breds are ok in anything up to pH8 and quite hard.

I'm not buying RO water. I have no car so getting it to my flat would be so much of a drag it would spoil the hobby for me. I'd rather just choose species that do ok in what I have immediately to hand.

I already have an Eheim Pro 3 and an Eheim Classic 2213 so, thankfully, don't need to purchase anything extra on that front.

The substrate I'm still looking at. I've got ADA Malaya in my tank at the moment but I'm not very happy with it - it's no where near as fertile as some of the alternatives. I'll probably bag it and sell it second-hand. I'd like to switch to ADA Amazonia (will need to pre-soak it in a bin as it'll leech ammonia for a couple of weeks). Enough bags for a tank that size will cost me a bomb though. I don't really want sand - I'd prefer a dedicated planting substrate as I like the fact it doesn't require any vaccuuming and will provide a food source for up to a year for the plants. The other one on the shortlist was Eco-Complete but the bags are as expensive as ADA but much smaller...so not an economical choice.

Thanks for your input by the way...very helpful as I'm casting my nets of choice!