· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Care for young bettas?

0 Not allowed!
    So, my tank is not fully set up and I'm still in the research phase for the livestock.

On the one hand, it would be nice to have a betta for nearly its whole life and to watch it grow and change. On the other hand, I know caring for it while young would be much more involved. I want to know what kind of care would be necessary before I make a decision.

I've been trying to find information online, but google doesn't seem to want to give me a comprehensive source. What I have managed to glean from the sources available:
    -The water needs to be at least 80 degrees (I would need to upgrade my heater, it's within an adult's range but has trouble getting water that high).
    -They need a wide variety of baby-specific foods, and it needs to be small so that they can get it in their tiny mouths.
    -They need a lot of cover in order to feel safe.
    -They need to be fed more often than adult fish.

The feeding is mostly what I'm having trouble pinning down. Would Hikari First Bites plus frozen bloodworm and frozen brine shrimp work? How often do they need to be fed?

Also, how would I look at one and try to determine its sex, possible future colors, etc? I know that it's tricky when they're so young.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Found this online:

"I feed my juvenile bettas 3 times a day, usually live or frozen food but occasionally supplemented with pellets and brine shrimp flake. Their diet consists mainly of live mosquito larvae that I culture myself. Adults get brine shrimp flake, live whiteworms, live mosquito larvae, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and pellets. They are fed twice daily and fasted one day per week."

Back when I raised one of those Petco "baby betta" sucessfully to adulthood I fed crushed Omega One betta flakes and the occasional treat of chopped frozed bloodworms, though I only fed once a day... Don't know if that was ideal but then again this was the first set up I ever owned so it was years ago.

I will agree that they need lots of cover to feel secure. For pretty much all of his youth my "baby betta" stayed hidden among his guppy weed, only coming out to feed. He finally decided to take control of the tank and roam around when he got to be about an inch long.

Colors are tricky but not impossible to determine. Sex is a little more difficult... Mine was a drab mahogany with those horizontal stress lines that I thought only females exhibited. This color later developed into a bright cherry red and the stress lines went away, so I would imagine that one can assume a "baby betta" will develop a color that is similar to what it has but much brighter. With time my betta turned out to be a male plakat, not the female I had anticipated.

I used an Aqueon Pro 50 watt heater in a 10 gallon tank set to 80 f. I would definitely upgrade your heater to one that is adjustable simply because if your betta ever falls ill you might want to turn the heat up to aid in treating him.

Hope that helps!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I raised a bunch of baby bettas last winter. All survived and thrived. I just lost my first one at nine months old (IDK why). I would suggest you get breeder to send you a baby - those babies at petco are usually sick and very stressed. A healthy baby gives you the best chance at success.

What you read is pretty correct. Adjustable heater, set to 80 or 82F. Lots of cover. The breeder I got my bettas from fed adult food ground up in a pepper mill, baby brine shrimp, and microworms I think. At nine weeks, when I got the babies, they were already too big for microworms and BBS, I fed them first bites and occasionally brine shrimp, as well as some of the ground up food the breeder sent. There is baby betta food out there...maybe NLS has it, IDK. THIS IS IMPORTANT: You must be prepared to change the water very frequently with babies...they release a hormone that stunts their growth, so it's important to change the water a lot....like every day or every other day. Most breeders will tell you 50% every day. I did this until they were five months old, then gradually reduced the frequency over many weeks.

As far as sexing goes, who knows. Depends on what type you get. Some you can tell fairly early based on fin length, some you can't until you see flaring behavior...the males are typically very head-heavy when it comes to weight distribution and volume, and their beards are generally very large. Females are stockier (more weight/volume behind the head) and usually gill plates are smaller. But you don't always know until they are adults. Colors will also change up until adulthood, about six months IME, and can vary a lot.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both!

I tend to go to the local Pet* chains because when it comes to bettas, they're usually as good (if not better!) than the LFSs. (The LFS I was at last week? Had their bettas in containers half the size of the ones used at the Pet* stores! It was disgraceful!) There used to be a LFS that had containers twice as big, and I purchased my fish from them last time I had this tank set up, but they've since gone out of business. :( You'd think with where I live that there would be good LFSs all over the place.

I'm planing/hoping to let the plants I buy grow into the tank, once I get it set up, before buying fish either way. And there will also be a pottery cave that I'll be using that will serve as decoration and additional cover.

Got it on the water changes.

The ones at Petco look like they're roughly 8-9 weeks old (a touch over an inch long, by my best estimate), and they are all white to whiteish grey. I imagine that a good bit of that is stress. I have no idea where to even begin looking for a breeder to even start inquiring about the possibility of getting a young fish.

Also, I just saw this elsewhere... But what about hard-boiled egg yolk as an additional food?
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard of hard-boiled egg as an acceptable food, but I haven't tried it. Really, any baby you get prolly won't *need* it, but it's good to give your fish variety in food, so go ahead if you want to feed it.

Babies that are grayish could be any color really as they mature, white ones are likely Cambodian (probably red Cambodian) or will be red all over as adults. Sometimes you get a blue Cambodian as well, but that's rare from store stock. Also, babies should have a good bit of horizontal striping on them - this serves as camouflage. It doesn't necessarily mean they are sick, but watch for ones with fuzzy stuff on their scales or ones that look particularly washed out. Healthy ones are spritely and move fast.

I can hook you up with breeders if you care to go that route, and a website dedicated to raising bettas if you'd like. The breeder I worked with and really like is currently offering free fish again - you just pay shipping. There are many breeders out there looking to find homes for fish they would normally cull, so you are saving a life, either in choosing a pet store betta or a breeder fish. The shipping will prove to be more expensive than just going out and buying a fish though, but I would not go the pet store route again...my fish came to me in excellent shape and have been a delight.

PM me if you want that info. As much as I'd love to post that info here, I believe it is against the rules.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.