· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, my bad on the interruption part, I stand quite firmly corrected and I should have written E.G. ( for example) 4ppm, seeing as that is what I did for my 150 gallon. I make mistakes when on 4 hrs of sleep in 3 days- off to bed I go. Have a good day all.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Nitrite finally dropped to zero while I was away and I asked a family member to dose a very little amount of ammonia while I was gone and of course they poured way to much. My tank smelled like ammonia when I arrived home. I did two 90% water changes. The smell is gone but the ammonia levels are still extremely high. What else should I do two bring it down?

Ammonia 8.0+ ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 10 ppm

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm still on the learning curve myself, but I would just keep doing water changes until the Ammonia is down to half of the original dosing level, and then see if/how fast it cycles.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Yup - the way to remove ammonia is to change your water, wait about an hour, test the water and see how far down the ammonia has come - you might want to change like 75% at a time, test, etc.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Yup - the way to remove ammonia is to change your water, wait about an hour, test the water and see how far down the ammonia has come - you might want to change like 75% at a time, test, etc.
    How frequent should I change the water a day to get the ammonia down? I did 90% last night.

0 Not allowed!
    I would change twice a day if that's what it takes - I don't know what your original ammonia level was but obviously 8 is overdoing it a bit ; ) - that'll stall everything.

I forget what size tank you have? If someone has super high ammonia, I recommend changing it enough times to get the level down to where it should be and then let it drop to 0 - again, test an hour after you change your water.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks. I'm on my 5th 90% water change and nothing has seemed to change yet. Ammonia is still extremely high and Nitrite 0 Nitrate around 10ppm.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Geez, how much ammonia did they dump in? Are you waiting at least an hour after the water change to test for ammonia?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I asked the same thing and got a dumb answer. The first water change everything smelled like ammonia. The only thing that has changed is that the smell is gone. I wait more then hour before I test. I just finished another change and I'm gonna test in an hour and most likely do another water change.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    That's about all you can do until you bring the ammonia down to where you can read it.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.