· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firefish sick?

1. Default firefish sick?

0 Not allowed!
    i just bought a firefish yesterday at petco for my 14 gallon biocube he has these two white specs on the red half of his bodie... my tank is only a week and a half old but its cycled already. could it be ich? i didnt notice it yesterday when i bought him. could it be sand stuck to his bodie from his hiding hole that is on the sand bed

0 Not allowed!
    How did you acclimate your fish to the tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    drip loop for half an hour. i dont know much about treating sickness in saltwater yet so it scares me to see it so soon in my salt career
    Last edited by johncomeau8; 06-16-2013 at 02:35 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    You will need to look closer at the specks. If they constantly shift locations and do not look cottony they could just be bits of food or substrate.
    What species do you mean with firefish? Do you know any synonyms or Latin name? And how did you cycle the tank?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cycled with LR and LS. its not a helfrichi or purple firefish. its just your classic cheap red and white firefish

0 Not allowed!
    It does sound like marine ick

Google some pics of marine ick just to make sure. In the mean time, maybe turn off your tank lights to help keep him calm
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i just took another look at him and the specs are gone!!! does that mean its probably not ick?

0 Not allowed!
    Time will tell. The specks can come and go as the virus develops and moves through its life cycle. The below link contains some more info on marine ick. Keep a close eye on him and don't add any more fish for a few weeks so you can be sure if it is ick or not

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/mai...yon-irritants/

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so i didnt see them yesterday i only saw them this morning then an hour after i saw them they are gone? can it go through its cycle that quickly

0 Not allowed!
    That does seam too quick for ick, but it's not impossible. I've seen spots come and go in 1 to 2 days before.

Just keep a close eye on him for spots and other symptoms of ick for the next 2 to 3 weeks, just to be safe.

Have you thought about using a quarantine tank ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast