· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Arowana biting tail help needed URGENT PLEASE !

0 Not allowed!
    My Silver Aro is currently at 18 inches and he has been displaying erratic behavior for the past two days.
    I had asked one of the LFS guys to check my other tank and in the mean time my friend had mentioned that my Aro tank's motor was making noise, the guy put his hand in my Aro tank and the Aro freaked out and was running all over the tank and has hit a few of my artifacts and lost a few scales.
    All this happened when I was preparing my other tank so I wasn't present near my Aro else I would have stopped him from putting his hand in the tank.
    My Aro is only used to me as I am the only person who feeds and cleans his tank, he mostly freaks out with strangers.

After the LFS guy left my Aro has been trying to bite his tail relentlessly, I have tried adding another motor to create a strong current and tried quite a few things that I found on the net but none helped.

I also did a 80% water change immediately after the LFS guy left, no use.

I don't think it is a parasitic infection as he has never exhibited this behavior before and he has been with me for more than a year.
    But as a precaution I have also added anti-parasitic medicine (Paracidol) for 2 days but no use either.

So is panic induced by my LFS guy causing this behavior, thats the only conclusion I can come up with.

How do I go about the situation.

Any advise would be great.

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept a aro before, but I have found that turning off the tank lights can help calm down fish. You might want to try that while you figure out what is going on here.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I've never kept a aro before, but I have found that turning off the tank lights can help calm down fish. You might want to try that while you figure out what is going on here.
    No the tank lights are always off by default, as a matter of fact I have even turned the main room light off.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    probably a parasite. are you feeding feeder fish? easiest way for aros to get parasites.

this may help:
    http://www.trubus-online.com/trubus/...nic&Itemid=510
    Thar she blows!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    probably a parasite. are you feeding feeder fish? easiest way for aros to get parasites.

this may help:
    http://www.trubus-online.com/trubus/...nic&Itemid=510
    No he is on Hikari pellets and frozen shrimps, I stopped feeder fish feeding 6 months ago.
    Thanks for the link Crispy, Unfortunately there are no visible parasites on his tail as far as I can see, anyway the medicine I am using is an anti-parasitic do I have to keep adding the medicine everyday, it says on the bottle add on 1,2,3,5, and 7 day. Do I also have to do a water change on these days to prevent medicine buildup? Because it is mentioned on the bottle do not overdose. What percentage of water must I replace if I am to do a water change?

Thanks for your help, anymore input would be useful.

0 Not allowed!
    What medicine is that? How big is the tank? What's the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings?