· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
    nickw2142 is offline Junior Member ConvictDwarf PufferBarramundiJack DempseyEsox LucieusCatfishTrident SharkCharacidiumStarfishPlecoAdminKiller WhaleThe Berserker SushiSiamese Fighting FishA darn nice guyLoachQueenGreat white shark (admin)

Lightbulb need HELP revamping aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    I'm spicing up my tank and i have a lot of question that need answering :)

So i've had this 20 gallon tank from a couple years now and its seen its fair share of fish although recently its only been occupied by a couple. I've decided that i want to make it look very nice with plants an all but i have no experience with that.

My current tank setup is just a regular old 20 gallon tank with a marineland pengiun 150 and a 15 watt tank-long bulb in the cover above.

So if i plant this with, lets say a bunch of dwarf hairgrass in the front of the tank, how much light would it need? I figure i'd have to put my light on a 10-hour timer so that the plants get enough light. But all that lights means lots of algae, right?
    Well I figured if get 2 otocinclus that should probably be able to keep the algae under control, plus otocinclus like having friends :)

For nutrients, I'm hoping that the fish excrement (i'm gonna get more fish) and waste food will be enough to sustain the dwarf hairgrass, as i don't really want to worry about remembering nutrient supplements and stuff.

Right now, the only fish I have are 5 red minor tetras. I was thinking of getting a small group of cardinal or neon tetras. Other than that I'm completely lost on what fish to get. Any suggestions on a nice centerpiece fish that won't pick on any of the smaller fish? I should have a fully stocked tank if I hope to feed my plants that way.

Any ideas, suggestions, and answers are welcome :D thanks for your time!
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-16-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Removed Links

0 Not allowed!
    Dwarf hair grass would need more light that you current 15watt single bulb. Likely a double bulb T5 in the 6500 to 6700K range. Dwarf hair grass would do best with very high light levels, CO2, and ferts.

Have you considered a easier to keep plant ?

I have also removed the links to other forums in your post. Please review our forum rules here about that when you get a chance.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you should up your current tetra school instead of adding another. Red minor tetras can be nippy if you dont have larger numbers. I have a school of 20 in a tank and they behave very nicely. Instead of the ottos you could do a nerite snail (there are some really cool looking ones).

0 Not allowed!
    You will need to upgrade your lighting and look into purchasing a pressurized CO2 system, and dosing the tank with fertilizer daily if you want something like dwarf hair grass to grow in your 20 gallon.

With the light you have, you will be able to keep some low light plants alive, but you probably won't get much growth out of them. Even if you do upgrade your lighting, you should look more into low light plants. Get the hang of those before you jump into carpet plants like dwarf hair grass.

You will need a timer. But, I would start with leaving it on for 8 hours. If you have the balance right with the amount of plants you have, plus the right light, plus the right amount of nutrients for the plants, algae should not be an issue for you.

I would either start over with your stock, or add to what you have.

If it is a standard 20 gallon, and not a 20 long, I would get this light. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...-t5-strip.html
    Then get some Wisteria, Anubias, Crypts, and Java ferns. Using a plant substrate like Eco Complete will also help. See how you do with those for awhile. If you get the hang of keeping them alive and algae free, then look into upgrading your lighting again. I would also get a CO2 system. You could then get some higher light plants like dwarf hairgrass.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is this a 20 long or 20 high? I would try echinodorus tenellus (pygmy chain sword) or dwarf sagittarius. I've had good luck with both of these and I don't use CO2. I've tried but have never been able to grow dwarf hair grass.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickw2142 View Post

So if i plant this with, lets say a bunch of dwarf hairgrass in the front of the tank, how much light would it need? I figure i'd have to put my light on a 10-hour timer so that the plants get enough light. But all that lights means lots of algae, right?
    Well I figured if get 2 otocinclus that should probably be able to keep the algae under control, plus otocinclus like having friends :)
    Hairgrass likes a little more light than that and grows a lot faster and denser with added co2. Doing two lighting periods of 4-5 hours with a 90-120 minute break will do more for algae than 2 otocinclus.

For nutrients, I'm hoping that the fish excrement (i'm gonna get more fish) and waste food will be enough to sustain the dwarf hairgrass, as i don't really want to worry about remembering nutrient supplements and stuff.
    Hope all you like but that's not the case. Carpeting is a pretty unnatural way to grow for a plant. If you want that it needs plenty of nutrients. Doing an EI scheme and co2 are needed.

Right now, the only fish I have are 5 red minor tetras. I was thinking of getting a small group of cardinal or neon tetras. Other than that I'm completely lost on what fish to get. Any suggestions on a nice centerpiece fish that won't pick on any of the smaller fish? I should have a fully stocked tank if I hope to feed my plants that way.

Any ideas, suggestions, and answers are welcome :D thanks for your time!
    2 more minors to round up the school and 7 neons pretty much fills a tank like that. There's "centerpiece" options like the ram cichlid.