· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default C. Apisto won't eat flake food.

0 Not allowed!
    I got a pair of cockatoo apistos a few weeks back. They've settled in well, but they refuse flake food and, the female especially, will only take frozen bloodworms or artemia (brine shrimp). I don't mind feeding them the meaty stuff, but I've heard that too much of it can lead to something called fatty liver disease. I've tried JBL (cichlid pellets and community food), tetra flakes, some other kind of flake (I have it in a bag rather than a tub, so I can't remember what brand it is), I even went and got a tub of dried daphnia in the hope that'd be acceptable, but no.

Is a staple of artemia with bloodworm every 3 days or so an acceptable diet, or can you recommend something?

Other fish are 10 glowlight tetras and one albino BN pleco. All are swimming well, the pleco's demolished the algae and is now on to cooked courgette, and the tetras will eat anything they can get in their mouths.

0 Not allowed!
    It can be a little tough to get fish used to different foods.

Maybe try not feeding them for 3 or 4 days then try the flakes again. That might be worth a try
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Something I would try is to mix in the types of food with the ones they like. Thats how you graduate fry to the next food generally. Crushed or small pellets are what I was feeding to my Appisto's along with other flake and the bloodworms once a week.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I fed them after a couple of days break last night and the male did seem to eat some pellets. I'm wondering if the pellets just too big (they're 1mm-4mm) for the female as she seems quite small. She was taking them

The tetras have learned that food appears when and where my hand does, and they're right little vacuums. They follow my fingers right around the tank, the greedy little beggars.

0 Not allowed!
    I have apisto atahualpa and macmasteri. A variety of foods seems to work best. Brine shrimp, black worms, gammarus shrimp, and similar foods work well. I use nls pellets as well, you can get them in the 0.5mm size which seems to work well. It can take a bit of time to get them to try different foods, you can try starving them for a few days and then try feeding. Sometimes mixing a few types of food together and putting them in the tank at the same time works.