· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    And it's time for Betta Show-and-Tell!

Here's the new guy in the store cup:

And acclimating. I had to move him up to the ledge next to the tank, because it was just dripping too fast with the valve at its tightest setting. He dripped for an hour and a half before I carefully tipped him into a fine mesh net, then placed him in the tank.

And finally swimming around his tank! I ended up adding a baffle to the filter, because I wasn't sure if he was just hiding, or having trouble with the current. Here he is, inspecting the baffle.

In the store, he looked like he had a dark blue body, peachy fins, and the dark edging around the outside of the fins. He darkened up some after being put in the tank, with what looks like a brownish black body with blue iridescence, and the peachy fins with the dark edging. It'll be interesting to see how his colors evolve as he settles in and gets comfortable. :)
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    He's lovely, I'm sure he'll love his new home :)
    Don't poke the crazy

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Good looking boy, looks like a happy betta.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice! Both the fish and the tank! Good job!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, 1Sarah, gronlaura, and Rue! And those pictures don't even do him justice. :) But he does seem to enjoy his new home. I caught him sleeping ontop of his heater this morning, and he wove through the plants, and had several pellets for breakfast. :) I can't wait for the stems to get tall, to give him more up top to weave through.

And I was a bit surprised, but my tank's cycle went silent this morning. Tested 0/0/0. And I was expecting a bit of a spike, since I had added ammonia yesterday, not sure if I would end up with a fish or not. I added Prime at the same time, hours before I brought home the fishie, so both were well-circulated and the ammonia detoxified.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Uploaded a video to Youtube with the changes I made today... I think I'm eventually going to rearrange the tank, move the java ferns to empty spaces over on the stem side and put stems in where the ferns currently are... I"m not going to do it right away.

I'm not 100% happy with the baffle. I think I might replace it with one that has a notch cut out so it can actually fit right up against where the water flows out of the filter. As it is, it's just diverting most of the water down onto the crypts. Boyfish can swim through it just fine, but he mostly swims around the area directly under the outflow, and the one time he did swim through it he was pushed down a good inch. He's been swimming near the top more since I changed the baffle, though. And there's still some current up top. You can see the dust particles on the water's surface swirling around. And there's half of an IAL in there too. Once it's waterlogged enough to stop floating, I'll move it against the side wall, behind the filter.

1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I've been playing around with the baffle, and I just can't seem to stop! Heh. Trying to find the right balance between something that boyfish likes, and doesn't keep a good 1/3 of the tank in shade.

And thanks to the shade from the new baffle, the stems didn't absorb nearly as much NO3 as they were with the other baffle. So, in order to keep tank levels healthy, I uprooted the largest (and most shaded) of the stems and am just letting that float over in the Aubias' corner. Will eventually reposition several of the stems and the rhizome plants.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, here's a picture with the current baffle and plant arrangement.

You can see that the left side of the tank is fairly shady. I've figured out why I have such a reduced amount of light with the baffle. The socket for the light is to the right, so the bulb sticks out a touch left of center. Which isn't that great, when you consider that they have the FILTER on the left side too. Now, with the standard incandescent bulb that comes with the lid, it fits behind the light shield and doesn't overlap with the filter. However, because I'm using a fluorescent bulb instead, it's about an inch, inch and a half longer than the clear plastic shield. Now, the edge of the foam baffle is about right where the shield ends, meaning the light from the last inch or so of the bulb has to go THROUGH the baffle.

I've thought about those bulb-shaped CFLs they make, but the shield is rather narrow. The current narrower fluorescent bulb I'm using barely fits. I don't think the rounded bulb ones would fit at all.

Any suggestions for rearranging the plants? I don't want to risk Crypt melt by moving those, but the ferns and Anubias are all tied to rocks sitting on the substrate.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    And some other tank pictures.

1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    A package of trimmings arrived today, offered to me by the wonderful bethyMT. :D I was so excited! A bunch went into this tank, while the rest (and some of the stems I already had in this tank, but pulled because the baffle was shading them) were put in a 5 gallon bucket with a light to grow until I can prepare and place them in the tank I'm working on setting up. I clamped the new LED to the bucket to light them, and added a bit of ammonia to give them something to "eat". When I get a chance to get to the pet store, I'll get some ferts to also give them in the mean time, so they don't run out of any nutrients.

Anyways, the fun stuff! The new plants are Rotala, Hygrophila angustifolia, and Salvinia minima. I moved two of the java ferns (the windelov and a narrow leaf), and the Anubias Afzelli over to where the stems I pulled had been, by the filter area. I shifted the Anubias nana closer to the mouth of the cave, moved the other narrow leaf java fern up by it, where the Anubias afzelli had been. The baby java that had been in the corner was moved to the grow-out tub (as well as one of the baby javas that was on a leaf still). That freed up the whole back corner for stems. The H. angustifolia went into the back corner and I filled out some of the area around it with the Rotala. Obviously, the salvinia is floating on top. :)

Pictures!

For some reason, I thought the salvinia would be bigger than it actually is! lol
    1. 2. (No Picture)