· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Fishmommie, your tank before was cute, but the redeco is beautiful! :)
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Went to Petsmart today. I wasn't expecting them to have a decent plant selection (my experience is that no place I had been to had a really great plant selection, but Petco had always had the best easy low-light selection). I was rather surprised by the selection they had in the pre-packaged plants! So I rewarded that (and made it easy on myself, lol) by buying my fore- and medium-ground plants there. They should be fine until my Eco Complete arrives tomorrow.

Still undecided on the stems.

And I got some food to have around. Sinking algae disks for snails, and some froze brine shrimp and bloodworms just so I have them on hand.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Awwwww, man...

So, my Eco Complete was being delivered by UPS. It was scheduled to be delivered today. It was scanned Out For Delivery early this morning.

Then late this morning, it was discovered to still be at their facility. Grrr. So they automatically rescheduled it, but they haven't said when. I don't know if it'll be later today, tomorrow, or next week! They're driving me nuts!! I want to get my tank set up and planted! Whaaaaa! :(

The heater still hasn't left Amazon's warehouse. They estimate delivery at sometime next week.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Eco Complete was delivered! I started planting... Got the Crypt planted, but I can't get the ferns and anubias to stay down. I need something better to tie them to. And I'm sure that there's going to be a bunch of crypt-melt. As careful as I try to be, it's impossible to separate out the plants without breaking roots. However, if most/all of them hang on, I'll have a nice little crypt forest running through the center of the tank.

So the ones I had opened and cleaned are floating in the tank. Have one anubias still in its tube. Heater, filter, and lights-on-timer all plugged in, though! Once the rhizome plants are in place, I'll take pictures. Still need to decide on stems. Will do water-quality tests tomorrow, on both tap and tank once I add a bit of ammonia.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, yesterday was busier than anticipated, so I finished up getting the plants I have in today instead. :)

028_zps09be8db4.jpg

031_zps279988e4.jpg

You can see the forrest of Cryptocoryne wendtii running through the center of the tank. So far I'm not seeing much melt, which is nice. The frontmost Anubias is A. barterii var. nana, and the one behind it is A. afzelli. And then being blocked a bit by the cave and Anubias is three java ferns. One is Windelov, and the other two are the Narrow Leaf varieties. Also, in the little pot is a tiny Windelov that was attached to the leaf of the main one. :D Two plants for the price of one! It's in a pot with gravel, because it's not staying in this tank. This is just the easiest place to keep it until I have another tank set up and ready. :)

And it's hard to tell, but the rocks the two NL javas are tied to, are forming a bit of a box, leaving that corner empty. I think I'm going to put a stem back there, to grow up and hide the thermometer probe.

Also, it's impossible to tell in that pic, but there's a crypt up against the back glass. It's easier to tell in a pic I took last night, when not everything was planted.

027_zps785a25ee.jpg

And Tiari, thank you about the warning for the heater! I'm so glad I have another already ordered. This one is struggling to even get up to 75, when it's not even cold out.

And finally, water parameters! These were rather shocking for me. The tap water I tested was water I dechlorinated and was filling the tank from Thursday night.

Tap: pH 8.2, Ammonia .25ppm, NO2 0ppm, NO3 10ppm, KH 22dKH, GH 28dKH.
    Tank: pH 8.1, Ammonia .25ppm, NO2 0ppm, NO3 10ppm.

Yikes! And yes, I believe those hardness values (despite one test only having 6 months left until it expires, and the other one having 'expired' 4 months ago). Starting last year I've had a problem in canning where I started getting a bad hard water film on the outside of the jars. And I won't start cycling until I get some plants that can suck up the N already in the tank. I don't want to add more and encourage algae growth.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    And my heater arrived today! The earliest estimated delivery date was Monday, and it arrived here early! :D :D :D It's now in the tank (I think the old heater is busted, which is why the water was so cool! Luckily the water was heating up from room's heat to within a couple degrees of what I set the heater to, so it shouldn't be a shocking change).
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    So my crypts are getting a bit melty on me. Still not as bad as I feared yet, not with how badly tangled together the roots had been.

Tweaking the heater to try to get the temp where I want it.

And why does water feel cooler, even when it's higher than the surrounding air temp?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yes. I'm going to have to find some way of cooling the tank when the real summer heatwaves hit. It's already getting up to about as high as I'm comfortable with the tank going. lol (Roughly 84-85 degrees.)

And I got a package of plants today, from a friend! :D We're not really sure what they are, other than stems that can be either rooted or floating. She tend to float them, I'm rooting them in the substrate.

The tank as it stands now:
    003_zps36437733.jpg

A close up of the new plants:
    009_zps8181f1d2.jpg

I don't have tweezers or anything like that to plant them, so I had to use my fingers... which was really messy and half-hazard. lol But they're in! And hopefully they'll stay down and root properly.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Aaaaand I had added ammonia to bring it up to 1ppm, officially starting to cycle the tank. :D Took four drops. Will check in a couple days. Hopefully the new plants will do their job and suck up ammonia. I expect they'll start slow (like the bacteria and everything else) since they're so small.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I don't want to start a new journal for the QT, so I'll just stick it in here. LOL I'm not completely happy with where I have it sitting, but it'll do for now. I have it filled up and starting to cycle.

It's simply furnished, the heater is a Hydor Mini-heater. It heats the water up to 5 degrees above ambient temperature, rather than to any set temp. While that won't be enough come winter, it's just fine for now when I'm struggling to keep the planted tank from getting too hot during the day. And since there's absolutely zero things living in it, I don't need to worry about temps at all at this point.

001_zps96efa985.jpg
    1. 2. (No Picture)