· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Batata's 180litre upgrade!

0 Not allowed!
    Hiya folks,

Well this is being done in retrospect as my tank is at least up and running (sort of!) but I thought it would be nice to keep a record of how it changes and begins to look like a proper aquarium :P

So, a little background...
    I started out with a 90litre (no clue in gallons) tank and gleefully went out and bought and my fish. All of who were happy and thriving until I made a rather large mistake. I decided I loved platys. So bought some....this story has not ended....

I spotted a 180litre on a local site and immediatly begged the woman not to sell it. After driving through some (VERY) dodgy areas in London I landed a slightly scratched but perfectly lovely Juwel Vision with a cabinet.

1175357_10153128459970158_1112110521_n.jpg

Having concluded that I definately wanted a planted tank rather than plastic/silk plants again I decided on the complete substrate after seeing it in a display tank in one of my LFS. Its basically got all the nutrients and fertilisers added to it and doesnt require a top layer.

After much cloudyness putting in the substrate I ordered myself a shiny new external pump and finally started the tank up intending to move everything over including the old filter so that I didnt have to do a cycle....

0 Not allowed!
    A juwel tank and that carpet... I'm guessing... UK based? Curious to see what this is going to be.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well...as I was getting ready to net fish my sister shouts ”mg a platy fry! OMG IT GOT SUCKED IN!!! I came running in to discover a fry had survived and had been sucked into the side of the filter...without thinking I grabbed the filter and pulled it out of the tank still running. Bye bye filter. I killed it.

I opened the filter box to discover a whole school of tiny fry grinning up at me..oh dear...livebearers may have been a mistake...

So now I have 2 tanks running..one filter and enough fry to start a platy football team >.>

I decide I do the only thing I can and throw everyone into the new tank and haul as many fry as possible into the spare 40l sitting at my sisters where they can stay until big enough to go to my friendly LFS :)

So..I took all the filter media and the ornaments and shiny new real plants and hoped for the best....

Nitrites came to bite me on the ass. No ammonia...just nitrites. Lots of them. Unbelievabley my fish didnt seem to notice...maybe my dechlorinator also temporarily neutralises them, I know some do. Anyway, I was doing huge water changes and slowly, slowly everything started to even out.
    Then the tiny Bristlenose got Ich. Fantastic. I have hillstream loaches so no heat treatment and Corys so no salt treatment. Commercial medication it is..

Tank is now finally stabilised and I have finally started doing some proper scaping...sort of...pics to follow...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, here is the tank with a few bits hastily thrown in to give the fish the best chance I could...
    971963_10153141989835158_822818350_n.jpg

1237787_10153141990340158_2088434370_n.jpg
    Aaaand my corys acting like everythings fine :P

And then today I went out and bought a few more plants and some moss...

Before
    20130825_193906.jpg

After replanting
    20130827_205033_LLS.jpg
    20130827_205056_LLS.jpg

Forgive the string on the wood, you (hopefully) wont see that for much longer....The jug is for my loaches, they absolutely love it and will hopefully be hidden by crypts eventually. The plants need to grow out a lot so the tank doesnt look so patchy...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hopefully this week I can go and get another 3 corys. Then I am thinking a school of the Hengli Rasbora and Sunset Tetra because they look awesome! And eventually a Pearl Gourami.

I will be shrimp shopping at some point too!

In the meanwhile, enjoy a BN cucumber picture!

20130825_120005.jpg
    20130825_120026.jpg

Updates soon!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes UK based, whats wrong with my carpet?!? Lol

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing at all, it's just of a style I tend to see a lot over there. Over here for example you'd see a lot more laminate flooring. Go south in Europe and it's more tiles.

Hengeli really need soft water and more cover than you currently have to do well.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I am not in a rush to get them, I can wait until my plants grow out first. The LFS has them in the water here, I asked about that and he said they are fine if they are introduced properly...maybe thats something more I need to look into...
    I was just pleased I can finally get some new fish in :)

0 Not allowed!
    Up to you. I got espei and I notice the softer the water the better their colour and behaviour.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Obviously I want whats best for the fish, Ill research and re-evaluate. Thanks for the input:)