· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Planted Betta Tank, 5 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, going to compile information here on this project. :) It's my restart into aquarium-keeping.

Tank: Aqueon Mini Bow 5 Gallon. Has a built-in Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter, and a spot in the hood for a 15 watt (incandescent) bulb.

Heater: Tetra H10 Submersible Heater. I also have a ZooMed digital thermometer to make sure the heater isn't on the fritz.

Substrate: Eco Complete Planted, in black. I don't actually have this in my pretty paws just yet, but I ordered it last night. I also have some aquarium gravel that I can tie rhizome plants to.

Decor: A dark blue porcelain pot I made back in college, that will double as a cave for the betta to hide in.

What I currently need to get: A new bulb, since the flourescent I used last time is now no longer working. I also need a new water test kit, because most of the bottles in mine expired (whoops). Some silicone, to attach things together with. New filter media for the filter. Something to tie rhizomes down until they attach to their spots. Ammonia, to cycle the tank and keep it cycled. I'm having trouble finding it, though. Probably ten thousand other things that I can't think of. lol

And now on to the future inhabitants:

Plants. I'm planning on getting some Anubias (nana, maybe broadleaf if I can find it), Java Fern (if I can find it, I'm not sure I can around here!), and some Crypts (mostly C. wendtii). I also want to add some quick-growing stem plants for N-control. The stores around here should have Anacharis, Water Wisteria, and a kind of Ludwigia. Now, I have a bit of concern about all three of them. From what I've read, I'll be maxing out the Anacharis' temp-tolerances. Water Wisteria is supposed to be too big for my tank, and Ludwigia is supposed to need more light than I'll have.

Livestock. Since it's a betta tank, obviously I'll be getting one of those. :) I also hope to have ramshorns and MTS in it.

Now, I've cleaned everyhting I already have. I couldn't get off all of the stuck-on algae. I'll have to hope the snails take care of that, or try to find something that will scrub acrylic while the tank is full, and try again after the tank has been filled a while. The surge protector I was going to use apparently no longer works. :( And I have no idea if the nearby outlet works either. Bah. Will have to figure this out, and I need to get a grounded-to-not adapter to be able to use my timer. Ah well.

So that's where things stand as of today.

0 Not allowed!
    For the "Stuck on" Algae, try spraying 3% hydrogen peroxide on it, letting it sit, and then rinsing well. This has always worked for me to clean old tanks with really welded on Algae. "Old" algae won't really entice snails, and if the tanks been dry a while, may not be safe to consume.

Keep a watch on that heater. I've had those before, and if its not the adjustable one, its notorious for only keeping the tank at 75 degrees in cooler weather, which is much too low for a Betta.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    How long do you let the peroxide sit? And a lot of these algae spots are tiiny, which makes it even harder. :/ And did you scrub at all with the peroxide?

Yes, it's one of the non-adjustable ones. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and I should have time before it becomes a problem (it'll likely remain off once summer really kicks in here, the house gets really hot!). I got this one at the time because it was the only one that maintained a certain temp and didn't feel like it cost an arm and a leg to get. What brands do you suggest, if I end up needing to replace it?
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I've always had the best success with using vinegar to get off old algae and even calcium / hard water deposits off glass and plastic. You can completely soak a paper towel in pure vinegar and then place this on top of the spot. Let it sit there all day (re-soak in vinegar if it starts to dry out) and then the algae spots should just wipe away.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I've already tried vinegar... It helped some, but not incredibly. Though I didn't just soak it. Part of the problem is the tank shape... It's rather awkward to leave laying around on its side so that the the paper towels don't fall off.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Whoo! My Eco Complete finally showed up on the tracking website. It's estimated to arrive Wednesday. :)

Still trying to clean the tank itself. Tried the peroxide, didn't work. Letting it soak with vinegar-soaked paper towels now.

I've also drawn up a quick sketch of my current planting idea. It is totally NOT to scale. lol The black line off to the left is marking off where the filter sits over the tank.

Also note, the pot will be at an angle, the opening pointing towards the diamond of crypts.
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 06-18-2013 at 05:04 AM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    And I have just ordered a new heater off of Amazon. It's a Hydor Submersible, rated for tanks up to 7 gallons. I'll have to start planting and getting it cycling with the old heater, but this one should be here before I get any fish. :)
    1. 2. (No Picture)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like a fun project. I recently planted and rescaped my little 5 gallon. My favorite plant is a banana plant. in a month it's produced 4 lily pads. i posted a little journal in the photo section http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=112307
    good luck and have fun.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    And I have just ordered a new heater off of Amazon. It's a Hydor Submersible, rated for tanks up to 7 gallons. I'll have to start planting and getting it cycling with the old heater, but this one should be here before I get any fish. :)
    From everything I've learned here, that filter won't be adequate for a 5 gal tank - those filters are tested without media in them - your filter is good for 3.5gal - you are better off upgrading to a filter good for at least 10gal or adding another filter if the tank has the space.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    What I ordered is a heater, not a filter. :) There's usually less of a problem with heaters being able to heat up the amount of water they're rated for.

Though my filter is probably under-powered for my tank size, since it came as a kit. Unfortunately, those aren't as easy to upgrade (the actual frame around the top of the tank is specially-designed for the filter). Fortunately, this will be a heavily-planted betta tank. Bettas are often kept with NO filtration, so even an underpowered filter is better than that! Plus, the plants should help with keeping things clean (it will end up being 1/3-1/2 filled with fast-growing stem plants).
    1. 2. (No Picture)